Scrapie tagging/tattooing question

CoffeeCow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
thanks for the info guys, you have been helpful. Luckily my wife is a vet, and I think we can get the job done with as little pain possible for them :) I was mainly interested in the number of digits, and tattooers. It kinda sucks that I have 9 digits in my farm ID number.. is everyone elses that long?

marlowmanor

Reaction score
So how do you get the scrapies tags for your herd and what do you need to do the tagging? My goats are not tagged and I know my dad doesn't tag or tattoo his goats. I think I'm going to ask him about that when I see him this weekend.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
CoffeeCow said:
thanks for the info guys, you have been helpful. Luckily my wife is a vet, and I think we can get the job done with as little pain possible for them :) I was mainly interested in the number of digits, and tattooers. It kinda sucks that I have 9 digits in my farm ID number.. is everyone elses that long?
yes, mine is that long.

And I do put mine on a stand, They jump and jerk so bad that I have a hard time keeping their rear ends on the stand. Of course, we immediatly put them back on it. And it is a short lived memory for them. So not meaning to carry on about it. Just wanting to make sure you are prepared and organized.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
marlowmanor said:
So how do you get the scrapies tags for your herd and what do you need to do the tagging? My goats are not tagged and I know my dad doesn't tag or tattoo his goats. I think I'm going to ask him about that when I see him this weekend.
Call this number and create a farm account and order your tags and tag pliers from them, It is free.

1-866-USDA-TAG

http://www.eradicatescrapie.org/

CoffeeCow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
marlowmanor said:
I noticed that you are in NC (same as me) so I will give you the contact info I have.

Nc Department of Agriculture & Consumer services
Veterinary Division
1030 Mail Service Center
Raliegh, NC 27699-1030

The lady I spoke to was Leslie Kent, DVM, She is the Scrapie Program Coordinator.
her Email is leslie.p.kent@aphis.usda.gov
Phone numbers:
Direct: 919-855-7715
Toll Free: 1-866-USDA-TAG (873-2824)

She has been very helpful, and pretty quick to answer her e-mail.
They sent me an information packet, and about a week later, I got a box of tags and an applicator gun Via UPS.
Didn't cost me anything.

Here is a picture of the tagger (loaded with a tag)
3112_ear_003.jpg

Hope that helps you :)

marlowmanor

Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
marlowmanor said:
Call this number and create a farm account and order your tags and tag pliers from them, It is free.

1-866-USDA-TAG

Thanks 20kids. My dad doesn't tag or tattoo but I saw in the NC rules that it is for animals older than 12 months and that wethers and animals going straight to slaughter aren't required to have them. My dad sells kids only from his farm and they are always under that 12 months old limit. So do kids have to be tagged too? Or do you have to wait till they are over 12 months old to tag?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
marlowmanor said:
20kidsonhill said:
marlowmanor said:

1-866-USDA-TAG

Thanks 20kids. My dad doesn't tag or tattoo but I saw in the NC rules that it is for animals older than 12 months and that wethers and animals going straight to slaughter aren't required to have them. My dad sells kids only from his farm and they are always under that 12 months old limit. So do kids have to be tagged too? Or do you have to wait till they are over 12 months old to tag?
Hmmmm, As far as I know all animals leaving your farm that were born on your farm should have identification. Either a scrappie tag, or tattoo information directly related to registration papers, or they are straight on their way to the slaughter house. not sure why it says older than 12 months, In VA it is all ages. And it is certainly all ages when crossing state borders.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I think you are missreading it.

For North Carolina it says: "All sheep and goats must have an official ear tag except wethers and animals less than 12 months of age that are moving directly to slaughter. Complete information is available by contacting:"

I read that as everyone needs to be tagged, including animals over 12 months of age going to slaughter, unless they are a wether going to slaughter. So Does over 12 months of age or intact bucks over 12 months of age going to slaughter also need to be tagged with scrappie tags.

EDited to add: They must be going directly too slaughter or Butcher, not just intended for slaughter or butchering 6 months from know. Another words if you are stopped on the road and you are just driving them to your house to feed out, they need to be scrappie tagged. Pretty much, they need to be scrappie tagged. EVen our wethers going to the fair that will go to slaughter in 7 days after the fair starts have to have a scrappie tag.

marlowmanor

Reaction score
CoffeeCow said:
marlowmanor said:
I noticed that you are in NC (same as me) so I will give you the contact info I have.

Nc Department of Agriculture & Consumer services
Veterinary Division
1030 Mail Service Center
Raliegh, NC 27699-1030

The lady I spoke to was Leslie Kent, DVM, She is the Scrapie Program Coordinator.
her Email is leslie.p.kent@aphis.usda.gov
Phone numbers:
Direct: 919-855-7715
Toll Free: 1-866-USDA-TAG (873-2824)

She has been very helpful, and pretty quick to answer her e-mail.
They sent me an information packet, and about a week later, I got a box of tags and an applicator gun Via UPS.
Didn't cost me anything.

Here is a picture of the tagger (loaded with a tag)
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/3112_ear_003.jpg
Hope that helps you :)
That is very helpful. That is a scary looking gun! :ep When reading the laws it seems my wethers are okay to not have a tag but my doe will need one. Now I have to get DH to agree to this and figure out what kind of farm name and id we want.

marlowmanor

Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
I think you are missreading it.

"All sheep and goats must have an official ear tag except wethers and animals less than 12 months of age that are moving directly to slaughter. Complete information is available by contacting:"

I read that as everyone needs to be tagged, including animals over 12 months of age going to slaughter, unless they are a wether going to slaughter. So Does over 12 months of age or intact bucks over 12 months of age going to slaughter also need to be tagged with scrappie tags.
Ok, after reading it again I see what you mean. So in other words all animals that leave the farm have to be tagged unless they are going straight to slaughter and are over 12 months of age and intact.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to explain it to my dad and DH. I know if my dad gets in on the program DH will be more likely to do it with our own herd. He tends to think that if my dad doesn't do it with his herd then it's not worth pursuing. :rolleyes: