Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve been worried that a snapping turtle would get in the field and one finally did. Yesterday morning Sentry started his hysterical barking, nose pointed down to the ground. Then he jumped back. Forward to the attack, jump back to avoid whatever it was attacking back at him. He had SOMETHING and it was fighting back. I grabbed a shovel and went to go see what it was. Snapping turtle!

I slammed the shovel down on it over and over, cracking it open. I beat it to mush, then tossed it over the fence.

Those things are so darned mean, I’ve been worried that Sentry would come up missing a part of his face.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just got back from vet with Sentry. He had a torn skin wound this morning 45 minutes after I let them out. It is on his right hind leg. I think he and Buford got into a fight. Sentry was stress panting, in shock, wouldn't let me touch it. Called vet, loaded him up and they worked us in. Stitches, shots, medicine to take home, $387 and he's in a dog crate in living room. Carson is hiding behind my recliner.

Sentry weighed 90 pounds at the vet clinic. He is my smallest dog.

I’ll keep him in several days to maybe a week, then put him in a small pen. I think it’s time to separate him and Buford. I walked the field to search for any dead animal in case something took a swipe at Sentry, but didn’t find anything. No buzzards circling, so I think it’s Buford finally fighting back. Sentry trashes Buford pretty hard sometimes and I’m guessing that Buford stood up for himself.

IMG_7298.jpeg

All stitched up. Vet put stitches on inside.

IMG_7301.jpeg

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My dogs will fight because they both have balls. Sentry gets to keep his because he has hip dysplasia and I figure he needs his hormones for his crappy bones. We did surgery on one hip and he is fine. Other hip is dysplasia too but it hasn’t blown out.

Buford is registered and I’d like to find the right female and maybe some day have a litter. So he gets to keep his too.

Carson is not neutered. It can get kinda intense around here sometimes.

@murphysranch sorry about your cat. Animals, like people, don’t always get along.