Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am getting a lot of enjoyment out of this little ram lamb. He isn't getting as much milk in him as we would like but he is smart and he has been an easy keeper once I figured out his body function routine. We like to get them to do their deeds outside rather than clean up inside but just in case, there was a reason we didn't install any carpet when we renovated. :)

Attachments

• Reggie 3 days old 19 Feb 2024.JPG
    Reggie 3 days old 19 Feb 2024.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 48

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
That calming influence goes both ways. You have to be calm and easy, or the sheep go bonkers. So you are calm, they take their cue from you and they are calm and easy. Their calmness comes back to you and it’s a peaceful environment.
@Mike CHS , you are a good shepherd.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
One ewe is in the middle of lambing with one huge lamb born. She usually has multiples but as big as that lamb is I'll settle for a single.

Pixie is fully recovered and nursing her triplets so we let her out this afternoon. We didn't give her lambs a bottle this morning so we gave them one this afternoon to see how hungry they were. All three of the lambs just played with the bottle so they got ear tags and let out.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm thinking that we will band Reggie and keep him as a wether. Pete has been super but he is 7 years old and he needs a backup. Besides that, I like the boy and would prefer he spends his life here versus a short time at the market.

Last edited:

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We brought the sheep in so we could catch up on ear tags and get some weights. Our stall is pretty big but it is practically impossible to tell who belongs to who with 70 plus sheep in there so we just catch the untagged lambs a couple at a time so the ewes will go looking for them. The lambs have been around people enough that they are easy to catch. The ewes are used to the chute so all you have to do is open the gate and they go right in.