Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So much for the perfect bottle lamb! LOL He will still remain the perfect Judas wether even if relegated to the barn. Bottle babes never forget that you are their mama.
One reason bottle bull calves are NOT suggested to keep as bulls... No respect or fear.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
We raised hundreds of bottle babies but never in the house. One year I had an accident and surgery on my shoulder so we brought them up to the garage where they stayed in a large cardboard moving box until I got them onto bottles. Then they went back to the barn and the next set came up. Went through several cardboard moving boxes. LOL

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
While I was out feeding Maisy, Mel, Oshi and Pete, Oshi gave me an excellent view into how smart the boy is. I carry a step-in fence post when I'm around him and if he gets too much in my space, he gets it on the soft of his nose.

When I feed, I put the dogs bowls on each side of me then I put some feed for the sheep into a pvc trough. The sheep finished up a little before the dogs and Oshi was curious about what was left in Mel's bowl. You could see that he knew that would get him close to me so he put his head on Pete's hind quarter and pushed him toward me so he could get to Mel's bowl and Pete was now in between me and Oshi.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Teresa took a bunch of pictures down at the stall. We were having some hay brought in and it's easier to just put them in the stall rather than move them out of the paddock. We haven't figured out how to get the pictures in email since they are so big. Teresa got a new phone and we haven't figured out how everything works yet.

This picture is a ewe lamb that just passed the 30 day point. She is the grand daughter of the big spotted ewe that we called Mama. Her mom is a 200 pounder also and she looks like she is going there also.

Attachments

• 9 Mar 24 54s ewe lamb 30 days old.jpg
    9 Mar 24 54s ewe lamb 30 days old.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 40

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's amazing how many sheep can fit into a 10' X 32' stall. We have had more in than this in the past but we had to use the chute which can hold15 or so sheep in the holding area. The ewes with their ribs showing all had trips and are getting a lot more feed.

Attachments

• Sheep in stall2 9 Mar 2024.jpeg
    Sheep in stall2 9 Mar 2024.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Sheep in the stall 9 Mar 2024.JPG
    Sheep in the stall 9 Mar 2024.JPG
    241.1 KB · Views: 40