Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hot here too. Miserable hot. I come in soaking wet, take a shower and change clothes. In the evening, same thing. We have July and August to get through……,

I put ewes with Cooper I think it was April 4. Yesterday I saw him breed one of the ewes. Last year, the early spring months produced nothing, but that boy went to town in July! Ewes were throwing themselves against the cow panel divider so I opened the half cow panel gate and shoved them in there. So now what? Are any of the ewes pregnant and this one was a holdout? Or is this going to be a repeat of last year? I was about to take this group out. Go figure…..

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
The ewes may not be coming into season until mid-summer OR it may be that the ram is a more seasonal breeder and really doesn't come into rut until July. Either way, the late breeder will join the new batch of ewes when they lamb. It could also be that she was already bred and the proximity of the excited ewes in estrus caused him to try to breed already bred ewes. Just add those breeding and potential lambing dates to your chart.