Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We brought the sheep into the stall this morning so we could do some random checks on the lambs. The #42 ram lamb that was the first born was a hair over 8 lbs when he was born and he has put on 16 lbs in the 24 days since then. That is mostly on the ewes milk since I didn't introduce the creep feeder till a few days ago. That should jump up to a gain of closer to a pound a day now that they are getting feed along with the ewes milk. Hay is always available but they are still working the grass in the nursery pen. The only ewe that needed worming was the spotted ewe and we went ahead and also gave her some B12 and Nutridrench at the same time.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I heard the dogs raising cane outside and looked out only to see a half dozen people in the pasture that I assumed were contractors for the power company. They had disconnected the hot wire lead to the netting and were crossing it to get to one of the power poles. I put my jacket on and headed out the door to make sure the dogs behaved. Maisy was bouncing around barking but not being aggressive besides barking. Thor had his sights on one guy in particular that had a long rag on a stick that he made the mistake of whipping it at Thor to try and make him back off. Every time he stuck that rag at Thor the madder he got and by now he was lunging toward the guy. I started yelling at the guy to stop and fortunately the boss of the crew heard me and told the guy to stop. The dogs settled down as soon as they saw me and I stayed with them till the crew was through. I told the boss that I wasn't real sure how smart you guys are to see dogs that size that obviously don't want you in with the sheep and you went anyway without letting anyone know. I called the power company to let them know they need to better inform their crews on dog safety.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad you called the power company...you would think they might of let you know in advance that they would be working in your area..:smack

They are pretty good about notification and they did send a letter last week. I built our fences so all of the posts except one are outside the fence but one is smack in the middle so not much choice there. Even the cows kept crowding the ones that went in their field.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
And then Thor would have been killed as a dangerous dog.

I called the power company to let them know they need to better inform their crews on dog safety.
The crew needs to COME TO THE HOUSE and let you know they need to go check their poles. At the very least they need to call you an hour before they will show up so you have time to prepare. I would be more than a little :somad

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tennessee law actually leans in favor of an LGD as long as they are contained. I expect in this case if he had made contact the contractor crew would be at fault since the owner was home and the dogs were behind two fences.

You are just to patient and nice Mike,....I would flat out be pissed that they came on your property, and one of the crew was ignorant enough to challenge your dog with a stick with a rag on it. I am happy for your sake that Thor didnt get himself some butt meat....but he sure did deserve a nice rump roast !!!

Last edited: