The journey into the abyss of no return

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got a question for you. I bought chicken barn trusses that appear to make a 36’ span when put together. I was told at a metal yard that 11 gauge 4”x4” square tubing would be stout enough to hold the trusses and roof.

I’m going to deck the roof with half inch plywood, then roll out radiant heat barrier and put metal roof on that.

Should I use metal purlins across the trusses or 2x4’s ?

And will the 11 gauge really hold that weight or do I need to go to 1/4”?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
The problem with OSB as opposed to plywood is that when it gets wet OSB "melts", My aunt roffed her barn with OSB before puttin on the shingles. She lost some shingles one year and by the time we found it the roof had a giant hole where the OSB had melted and collapsed. No problem we had the barn reroofed BUT she had also floored her loft with OSB. When the roof leaked onto the loft that OSB also "melted". She made wine as a hobby and had stored hundreds of cartons of wine bottles on the loft.

I had to shovel a ton (literally) of broken glass out of the barn before we could repair the roof. Then I had to climb onto the loft and lay plywood over the rafters in order to remove the rest of the cartons of glass bottles that were about to fall through the melting loft, as well as pull up the rotted OSB from the loft.

I don't use OSB anywhere it can get wet.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
If it can get wet, you should upgrade both OSB and plywood to marine grade. More money but the glues will not fail when wet. Wet plywood will bubble and delaminate which is almost as bad as melted OSB.

Last edited:

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Heck you need to move out here where you’d be appreciated- This sign should be on our road
IMG_7238.jpeg