The new babies have arrived!!! Pictures/Questions.

BriteChicken

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Oh Missy! I'm soo sorry about Worf... Hopefully all your other little ones pull through the infection and the breeder gives you another baby it won't replace Worf but it might cushion the loss :) So sorry :hugs

Missy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:hitI now have 2 more sick kids, and one healthy kid. I gave a penicillin injection this morning and they babies are now holding their heads up, they were laying flat out before and had green/yellow oozing poo. I have I also giving electrolite solution as well. Poor Yoda feels dehydrated,He is drinking very very well and holding his head up. Both are laying normally now and not on their sides.

Nora however has picked up a bit. You you help her up she will stand but can't walk. She crawls around though. I see it as an improvement as she wasn't doing that earlier.

What else can I do?

My healthy one with the solid poo is in the people house, The others are in their goat house I am doing 15 minute checks on them, and I am cleaning and decontaminating every few hours trying not to spread this if it is come kind of bacteria.

I want Mable to stay healthy, I am treating her the same as the others incase she has the bacteria and is just not showing it yet.

Anyone else have this problem ever?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So sorry, that is very frustrating for you and the children. It is not normal for kids to go to their new home and get sick and die, but it is not that unheard of either.

Keep giving them Penn G shots every 8 to 12 hours,

spectam scour halt for pigs is very good for bacterial infection. If you have a Tractor supply store nearby or feed store still opened this evening.

JusticeFamilyFarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm so sorry about your adorable little buckling! I hope the others are back to normal soon and the healthy one stays that way. I'm sorry you had to go through this so soon after bringing home your new babies. :hugs

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
My heartfelt condolences for your loss. Hope the others are doing well!

maggies.family

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am so sorry about Worf! And I hope the others get better quick! :hugs I am heartbroken for you. We just got our babies on Wed and am already so attached. I would be so sad. Big hugs to you! :hugs

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
Goatherd said:
I'd rather be safe than sorry. Though you might think it cruel, or believe you are taking away the Natural instinct of a goat, you can find ways to help with that natural instinct without the horns (might be a little extra work on your part), and you will be able to safely take care of your animals.
Really?
Yes really. I think it's cruel to dock a dog's tail or ears just because someone thinks it's the way a dog should look. Doesn't affect his natural instinct. So why if you remove a goat's horns, not to make it look good, but to make it safe for both you and the goat, would it remove their natural instinct? They still like to rub their heads and play fight. They still like to run and jump. To help with their natural instincts, you give them things to climb, place to graze, etc. I've read so much that shows how you can make your goat's life comfortable and complete. Not one person, in any article I've read, said if you remove the horns, the goat will lose everything and all natural instincts will complete go away.

Livestock is completely different than a dog or cat, domestic animals. Livestock CAN hurt you worse than some domestic animals. Maybe I recognize this. Maybe I think that I am being responsible raising a goat without horns. I know they can hurt in other ways, because I'm not naive, but taking away that one weapon would help my odds on not getting hurt.

Maybe one day, after some hands-on experience, I'll consider my thought on horns. Still won't dock a dog's tail or ears.

For those who live with horns, good for you, they are magnificent looking animals. For those who don't, I'm right there with you. Either way, no one should take owning any livestock lightly.

Just my opinion.
I don't take animal ownership lightly at all.

And yes you are correct. Some hands on experience with horned and dehorned goats would allow you to speak with first hand knowledge and experience.

For example: As noted earlier about a buck that ripped a gate apart. I can tell you from experience horns or no horns he would have accomplished the same thing.

One thing all animal owners learn with time, experience and hands on is that there is a lot of cookie cutter publication of over sensationalized information out there.

Horns may bruise but the scurs that often develop on a disbudded goat will rip you like a knife and cut their companion goats to shreds. Have seen a number of bucks along the way do some serious damage.

What you need to see is there are two sides to this argument to be aware of.

Missy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree. When it comes to horns, there are def. 2 sides to this. It can go either way. 6 of one a 1/2 dozen of another.

On another note, We lost poor Yoda last night. And little Nora about 15 minutes ago. Mable, had runny poo last evening, but she was still very active. I picked up some pepto, yogurt, gatorade and electrolite mix, and am going to continue her treatment. Hopefully all stays well.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
kstaven said:
Ms. Research said:
Goatherd said:
Yes really. I think it's cruel to dock a dog's tail or ears just because someone thinks it's the way a dog should look. Doesn't affect his natural instinct. So why if you remove a goat's horns, not to make it look good, but to make it safe for both you and the goat, would it remove their natural instinct? They still like to rub their heads and play fight. They still like to run and jump. To help with their natural instincts, you give them things to climb, place to graze, etc. I've read so much that shows how you can make your goat's life comfortable and complete. Not one person, in any article I've read, said if you remove the horns, the goat will lose everything and all natural instincts will complete go away.

Livestock is completely different than a dog or cat, domestic animals. Livestock CAN hurt you worse than some domestic animals. Maybe I recognize this. Maybe I think that I am being responsible raising a goat without horns. I know they can hurt in other ways, because I'm not naive, but taking away that one weapon would help my odds on not getting hurt.

Maybe one day, after some hands-on experience, I'll consider my thought on horns. Still won't dock a dog's tail or ears.

For those who live with horns, good for you, they are magnificent looking animals. For those who don't, I'm right there with you. Either way, no one should take owning any livestock lightly.

Just my opinion.
I don't take animal ownership lightly at all.

And yes you are correct. Some hands on experience with horned and dehorned goats would allow you to speak with first hand knowledge and experience.

For example: As noted earlier about a buck that ripped a gate apart. I can tell you from experience horns or no horns he would have accomplished the same thing.

One thing all animal owners learn with time, experience and hands on is that there is a lot of cookie cutter publication of over sensationalized information out there.

Horns may bruise but the scurs that often develop on a disbudded goat will rip you like a knife and cut their companion goats to shreds. Have seen a number of bucks along the way do some serious damage.

What you need to see is there are two sides to this argument to be aware of.
Have to agree. And am reading both sides of the argument here. Respect both sides of the argument. To each his own. And yes, looking forward one day to experience both sides of the argument. I just am looking at safety, for both animal and myself. Thank you for putting the examples of what could occur also without horns. The more I read from people "with first hand experience" both sides, the more I will be prepared for when I experience "first hand" experience raising a goat. I appreciate BOTH views.

Thanks for your input.