The new babies have arrived!!! Pictures/Questions.

Missy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Her fecal tests(Sorry I thought I posted this)

Were negative for Coccidiosis, Tape worm, all other internal parasites, and E. Coli.

Missy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We lost Mable this morning. It was so devastating, I thought for sure she was going to make a full recovery, she was running around playing king of the couch and cat tower(what a site to see- a baby goat climbing a cat tower with a dog diaper on:). Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. My kids are just beside themselves.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I just read through this entire thread (don't know how I missed it before).

Missy - I am deeply sorry for what you've been going through :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs

You might want to consider having a necropsy done on Mable (if it's not too late to do so).

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Missy said:
We lost Mable this morning. It was so devastating, I thought for sure she was going to make a full recovery, she was running around playing king of the couch and cat tower(what a site to see- a baby goat climbing a cat tower with a dog diaper on:). Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. My kids are just beside themselves.
Heartfelt sadness from New Jersey. :(

Just let your children know that all of you did everything to help Mable and Mable, as you posted showed her appreciation with her antics on the cat tower. Life really sucks sometimes, but it's life. Don't be sad for long. Hoping you and your children will hold her memory with happiness and apply that to the future Mables. :)

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We sold 4 doelings to a family this summer that had a similar experience last summer with some other goats they had gotten from somewhere else, They have 4 children and were wanting them each to have one goat. they lost all of the goats they started with last summer. So bravely they tried again. Honestly I was a bit concerned about them buying from me. Terrified something would happen to them. And wouldn't you know it. The day after they bring them home, they found lice on one of them and she then broke with scours(runny poop). I looked through all my goats and didnt' see any lice on them after she told me this. I called all my other buyers and none of them had seen or had lice. We had already sent some coccidiosis medicine home with the goats so she started treating them, but another 24 hours later the same one, who had never had scours prior or any health problems was not looking good.

So we jumped into our truck with a box full of medicines and drove the 50 minutes to their house. There was no way I was letting them loose any more goats. They had no experience giving shots, so we taught the mom how to give Penn G shots and vitamin B shots and explained a little better about how to drench a goat. So far so good, it has been a couple months now and the does are all doing well.

I know this was a tough experience for you and the kids, :hugs, I would highly recommend trying again. Do you know how many the seller lost? Have you been in contact with them very much? I don't think I would purchase any of those kids that she has that survived the illness from that group, it may have damaged their stomachs badly enough that they wont do well in the future.

I am so so sorry for your experience.

PJisaMom

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Missy said:
What a horrible thing to have happen! I'm so sorry!

What area of the country are you in? Someone may be able to point you in the right direction toward a different herd of goats. Give yourself some time, but consider not giving up. They really are worth the effort!

Hang in there...

Missy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The lady is insistant on replacing my goats which more goats from her, she will not refund my money. I would rather cut my loss than get more from her I think. When this all started, she told me on the phone she had lost quite a few goat kids this year. Also I noticed, but didn't think much of it at the time, that when I went back over to get the doelings, there was at least 20 goat kids less than when I went 2 days earlier, dispite the fact the girl who I talked to on the phone about 2 hours before arriving there, said they had not sold any since I was their last. Last I talked to the breeder, I still had Mable and then she she said she had lost 3 bucklings the night before due to this illness, and was treating the rest of the kids still who all had scours.

There is a lady in my area who has a pair of Oberhasli kids she is holding for me. They are 3 month old kids. Purebred. They both have their shots, and are debudded, the male is neutered. She is giving me a discount due to the issues I have had with the kids I got from the other lady, and has been extremely helpful to me. She had offered to neuter and debud for free, the kids I had if they survived. SHe is just truely a wonderful person.

RPC

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am sooooo sorry this happened to you. I just read the whole thread and that is really sad. I would get the 2 obe's and never get anything from that lady again. But first I would clean the goat shed really well and maybe even put some lime down to kill anything on the ground. Good luck and I hope what ever you decide that it works out. I promise this is not what normally happens with kids you just have a bad breeder with a huge problem. Hopefully she can get it fixed and be back to running a good operation.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I am so so sorry. I feel just awful for you and your kids. I hope you'll all be feeling cheery again soon. I know how hard this is :hugs