The new babies have arrived!!! Pictures/Questions.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Missy said:
I agree. When it comes to horns, there are def. 2 sides to this. It can go either way. 6 of one a 1/2 dozen of another.

On another note, We lost poor Yoda last night. And little Nora about 15 minutes ago. Mable, had runny poo last evening, but she was still very active. I picked up some pepto, yogurt, gatorade and electrolite mix, and am going to continue her treatment. Hopefully all stays well.
My heartfelt condolences for your loss. Sending well wishes to Mable from New Jersey! :fl

Missy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am hoping this is good, but Mable's poop has turned from yellow/green and watery to a slightly thicker and dark brown (not black, no blood)

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
If you said this anywhere and I missed it, I'm sorry....but did you take this lady's word for it that it was bacterial, or were any seen by a vet?

FWIW, for bacterial gut infections in kids, I really like scour-halt or neomycin sulfate. Treat 2x a day.
If the kids were over 2 wks old, it could also be or also be coccidia, which would require sulfa to treat effectively, and which will more than likely come back at least 1x.
A sick / puny kid is a prime cantidate for an opportunistic infection / bug to take over and make them doubly hard to fix / cure.

If a vet isn't practical or just can't be found nearby, then please consider treating w/ something other than Pen G...for some things it's wonderful, but if you've lost 3 out of 4, it's not working.

Stopping the poops and giving electrolytes is logical, but if the cause isn't addressed, it's like putting a bandage on an infected wound....you won't see the symptoms, but they can fester under the bandage and hide until you have a serious problem.

I am very, very sorry you lost them. :hugs We lost 4 kids our first year breeding and it broke my heart...

Goatmasta

Reaction score
Several things come to mind on the little guys.... I think it was said they were around 3 wks old, That brings me to cocci right away. Are they eating? do they have a temp? E. coli would be my second guess. Either of those are probably quickly coupled with pneumonia. I say pneumonia because they probably are not eating well and you are probably doing the same thing I would.... Force feed them... Invariably when force feeding they aspirate the smallest amount of milk and hello pneumonia... If they were here I would be treating for all three cocci, E.coli and pneumonia.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I am so so sorry about your goats :hit I agree with Goatmasta on the treating for all 3 possibilities as soon as you can. I really hope your week gets better.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Melissa said:
I am so so sorry about your goats :hit I agree with Goatmasta on the treating for all 3 possibilities as soon as you can. I really hope your week gets better.
I agree x 2

Missy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I woke up this morning to Mable screaming her head off for mommy. She had pooped in her kennel and desperately wanted it out. The poop was brown in color, but still soft, kind of ploppy, not runny. She is very perky, and is currently running about with a little dog diaper on as she wanted to be free in the house and not be in the kennel. She nibbled at some greens when outside and climbed the stone wall(looking quite proud of herself).

Her temp is normal and has been throughout this the whole time. Her breathing is silent, her yell is strong, her urine is clear, her inner eyelids have color, no nasal discharge, skin bounces back, no signs of dehydration. Can no longer see her ribs, back, or tail bone. Eatting well.

Her current schedule is:
Midnight-Pepto B(5 ml), 4 oz gatorade
4 AM - Pepto B (5 ml), 4 oz gatorade
5 AM - 1 ml penicillin shot, yogurt
8 AM 4 oz milk
12 Noon - Pepto B, yogurt, 4 oz gatorade
4 PM - 4oz gatorade, 2 oz milk
5 PM- 1 ml penicillin
8 PM- 6 oz gatorade, pepto B

Outside to run around every 2-3 hours(it is a good think my other half and I work opposite shifts right now:)

In your opinions, how is everything looking? Should I change anything?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would treat with sulfa-dimethoxine for cocci and add scour-halt to the treatment for bacterial.