"TO ALL NEWBIE GOAT OWNERS GIVING IM SHOTS"

kapfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Learn from my mistake! Do not give intramuscular shots into hindquarters if you can avoid it! You can save yourself a lot of grief if you talk to an experienced shot administer. you can even ask questions in this forum before giving shots.:old

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Kevin, I do it all the time, not too worry, it just takes a little experience and instruction.

kapfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
yeah, but you probably don't stick nerves or make your animals go lame!:he

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Of course I did, when I was first learning how, a few of them limped for a few days. It can happen, please don't beat yourself up about it, it was an accident, and you now know how not to do it.

no nonsense

Corralled
Reaction score
Could have been prevented with a brief lesson from a veterinarian.
I know, I know, people don't want to spend the money. Well, as I see it, a farm call with instruction on how to properly administer an injection, would be money well spent, and that knowledge could be used for a lifetime. Some people don't don't mind experimenting and playing doctor on their own. That's OK, if you can accept the results, but if not, better be safe and spend a little money now, than be sorry later after ruining or injuring a good animal.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
It is good to have a vet show you how to give shots. But you still have to get experience. I think when we all start out, there are those mistakes and you end up with a limping animal. As time goes on and you get good with shots, then it doesn't happen. I have to admit, once in a while it still happens to me. I usually have to give shots by myself and if an animal jumps or something, it can happen. You just can't beat yourself up about it.

kapfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am fine playing doctor and learning on my own. That was the first intramuscular shot i have ever given. I got frustrated and had to vent. sorry. :celebrate I actually enjoy doing these kind of shots. The thing I am not looking foreward to is debudding. I am nervous i will burn right through the skull. I know you burn longer than you think you should.

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I worked in a vet hospital, gave lots of shots, and still had to learn how to give IM shots to goats. I agree, a vet is the cheapest route if you want to learn to do things properly.

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
kevin said:
I am fine playing doctor and learning on my own. That was the first intramuscular shot i have ever given. I got frustrated and had to vent. sorry. :celebrate I actually enjoy doing these kind of shots. The thing I am not looking foreward to is debudding. I am nervous i will burn right through the skull. I know you burn longer than you think you should.
My vet taught my DH and I to give IM shots in the neck..,....funny thing though....I'm a nurse and give shots to people everyday....I have never been able to give them to my animals. I don't know why, poor dh has to give all shots. I get nervous...I think its because I'm not as familar with my pets anatomy as I am with peoples. Its strange.

kapfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Look who I get to give 11 ml. of BO-SE to next! wish me luck. This time its goin' in the neck.

1155_000_18071.jpg

Latest posts