To collar or to NOT collar?

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
We collar all our goats with cheap cat collars from the dollar store. The plastic is so cheap if you tug on them they break. In 5 years we have lost a few collars but never a goat because the collars aren't sturdy enough to hang anyone.

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
do you have large cats or small goats? lol

a cat collar would only fit my kids, wouldnt even come close to fitting my goatlings and adults, and by that I mean standard dairy, boer and angoras ...

rbbaker

Just born
Reaction score
Mully,
Where do you find a body harness for a young/small goat? I have 2 miniMancha doelings, and I would like to be able to take them for "walks" around the neighborhood. Is this like a harness for a dog? :)

Thanks,
Rachel

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
username taken said:
do you have large cats or small goats? lol

a cat collar would only fit my kids, wouldnt even come close to fitting my goatlings and adults, and by that I mean standard dairy, boer and angoras ...
Ha ha

I have toggenburgs. I was referring to cat collars in reference to the original question on kids. But you can get larger cheap collars from the dollar store to fit adults.

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
lol now I getcha!

ever since I lost my boer doe to the collar (I was milking her daily, hence the collar) the only thing I will leave on them is one with a plastic snap buckle that can pull open.

Its a catch twenty two, because I like to leave collars on my dairy goats, with a clip on the collar, so that when I go out to milk I just find them wherever they are, clip them to the fence and away we go milking. But I'm really worried about collars now. And with my boers and angoras, it is quite handy to put the collar round the horns, they can hang themselves, but the dairy goats are the ones that really need the collars and they are dehorned ...

anyway I'm just rambling here ...

norcal

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
There's a person down the road that has a BIG wooden spoon tied/taped between the goats horns. What is that for? To keep her from getting stuck?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
norcal said:
There's a person down the road that has a BIG wooden spoon tied/taped between the goats horns. What is that for? To keep her from getting stuck?
I'm guessing to keep her from sticking her head through the fence and getting stuck. We have tried a halter with a pipe on it for calves for this purpose.

nightshade

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
accidents happen this is the case with anything, they can get their head stuck in the fence with or without collars/ with or without horns. They can jump off something wrong and get hurt and die. They can try to jump over something and land on it impaling themselves.

With that said all of my goats have dog collars with small bells on them so that if anyone gets lose I can find them. I also have collars on them so that I can work with them about being led on a leach and are use to going for walks and such just like a dog would.

FlipFlopFarmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
how to make any collar a safety collar.... this coms from doing this with my horse halters. Get a lil bundle of that leather string, about the same size as shoelace string would be, it is sold at most every livestock supply place or saddle shop. on a regular dog collar, instead of buckling it, tie the buckle to the other end by running the leather string through the holes and the buckle. so, it is strong enough to lead the goat with, but if they pull back, the leather will snap. you will have to fetch a collar or two out of the pasture, but it beats a strangled goat.