Training question

peachick

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
OHH yay! this is a questions I can answer LOL
(normally Im the one asking)

Im a dog trainer. Read up on clicker training... You want to use positive reinforcement every chance you get. During a training session you want to avoid any negative reinforcement.

In the case of pushing. I'd probably teach him a good solid "stay" command. (he cant push through the gait if you tell him to stay 10 foot away from it :)

I clicker trained Buckley to jump up on some logs. Now, every time I walk towards the log pile, he races me to it and is up on the pile before I get there... knowing Im going to feed him on it.

You could do that with your buck... toss some corn to the same spot (away from the gate) every time you go to the gate... soon, he will go to that spot for his treat when you go to the gate... he will think hes training you to toss the corn :)

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So...first things first...hes a goat...."stubborn as a goats" was'nt said for nothing!!:gig

I would recomend...not giving him a treat for this type of training. Whats happening is your giving him treats and he dos'nt want you to go..so he gets more treats..beside wanting to escape. He's got alot on his mind getting treats and dreaming of his great escape..so he's not really learning.

Dont hit..or use electric shock or any negative things..hes a goats...not a 1 ton steer your trying to move. Spray bottle helps...

Goats communicatons and play generally include head butting or touching heads in one form or another...so if your pushing him back by his head...he will do the same back to you.

My best advice is to change the set up somehow so he can do that. All my corral gates and doors pull inwards so I can keep them back with the door as I leave...and they will naturally move back as I am opening the gate cuz its kinda pushing them back.

Or cough...they completely freeze when you cough..then make your great escape!!! The other suggestion would be leave when he is engrossed in eating or completely distracted in something. If your gonna give him a snack, I would give it to him away from the door and leave while hes eating etc...Some goats want what they want...and training dos'nt work...outsmarting them does!!

Good luck...

goatsintheopen

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies! I have enjoyed reading them!

You're right about goat stubbornness!! :rolleyes:

"Whats happening is your giving him treats and he dos'nt want you to go..so he gets more treats..beside wanting to escape. He's got alot on his mind getting treats and dreaming of his great escape..so he's not really learning"

that makes complete sense!! Boy am I ignorant!:he

I am going to try coughing..I can't wait to see his reaction.. :D

and I am going to try throwing the treats away from the fence gate so he is back eating when I enter and leave. I don't know why I didn't think of that either! :he and the spray bottle will be in my hand.

I have seen people clicker train their goats on youtube...I am going to see if i can get one.

thanks again ya'll! :thumbsup

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Your not ignorant!! You just were not thinking like a goat!!! :lol:

They dont think like us and are motivated very differant than us...I do it all the time and then remind myself that Im dealing with goats! They dont have emotions and feelings like us..and do things for differant reasons than us.

Goats are very bright...and can be trained to do alot of things. One of my girls will do the hokey pokey following raisin snacks...sometimes..cuz shes a stubborn goat!!!!

I pack some of my goats for hikes and they do awesome. But they all have differant personalities!!

But as you know..when they dont wanna...they dont wanna!!! :lol:

Good luck I wish you success!!!

themrslove

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
peachick said:
I clicker trained Buckley to jump up on some logs. Now, every time I walk towards the log pile, he races me to it and is up on the pile before I get there... knowing Im going to feed him on it.
You have got to be freakin' kidding me! :lol:
Buckley is my favorite. Hands down. I've never met him but I love him! Oh Buckley!!! :love

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Emmetts Dairy said:
I pack some of my goats for hikes and they do awesome.
Not to highjack the OP's thread but do you know of any good books that talk about training goats specifically for packing/pulling cart? I'm thinking of training the buckling I'm getting to do something on the "off season". ;)

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I dont know of any specific books...Im sorry...but this site may help??
They have alot of into on the web about it. I know in UTAH they do it alot!

http://www.workinggoats.com/?id=218

Its alot of fun! I use a doe that would sleep in my bed if I let her...where ever I go...shes goes...she is so attached to me...so personality of the goats will matter to. How well they can be trained. But I started when mine were young and just took them on walks daily and they learned to follow very early. That helps.

Next I wanna get my buck to cart as well "off season" cuz they are smart animals and like to have something to do...they are very social and love to be with humans...

goatsintheopen

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
chandasue said:
Emmetts Dairy said:
I pack some of my goats for hikes and they do awesome.
Not to highjack the OP's thread but do you know of any good books that talk about training goats specifically for packing/pulling cart? I'm thinking of training the buckling I'm getting to do something on the "off season". ;)
Highjack away! LOL I don't mind sharing a bit. :D The more questions and information about training in whatever area..the better! :cool:
I am taking notes. :)

goatsintheopen

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ooh and about the coughing.. I tried that out.. and sure enough, he froze and looked at me like "what in the world?!?" :lol: oh yeah, it was funny!

and as I left the pen, I gave the "back" command and he backed away ..then I laid the treats on the ground like was suggested and sure enough.. he stayed... and there were no horns or hooves on me! LOL!! worked beautifully! :D

I guess goats really are smart..here I thought I was training Him but really, he was training ME! :rolleyes: :lol: