Training question

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
goatsintheopen said:
ooh and about the coughing.. I tried that out.. and sure enough, he froze and looked at me like "what in the world?!?" :lol: oh yeah, it was funny!

and as I left the pen, I gave the "back" command and he backed away ..then I laid the treats on the ground like was suggested and sure enough.. he stayed... and there were no horns or hooves on me! LOL!! worked beautifully! :D

I guess goats really are smart..here I thought I was training Him but really, he was training ME! :rolleyes: :lol:
:celebrate Yay!!!! Success!!! You know you've become the "Goat Boss"
when you can actually outsmart em!!!! :lol: Cuz goats are smart!!

Thats great news!!! Im glad for you!!!! Its nice when you can have a good relations with them!! It makes it so nice to tend to them..rather then fighting them off!!!!

I learned the coughing trick a while ago...its a noise they make when they warn the other goats of trouble about...and sneeze too...but I cant sneeze on demand!!! It works though! Done it many times...he looks for you for direction cuz you sent a warning call out. After Im outside the gate..I let em off the hook and tell them everythings ok!!! :lol:

Just some tricks of the trade!!!!

:thumbsup Good job

rittert3

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'll have to try the coughing thing at the sale next month, sounds like it might come in handy where long term training isn't practical.

peachick

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
themrslove said:
peachick said:
I clicker trained Buckley to jump up on some logs. Now, every time I walk towards the log pile, he races me to it and is up on the pile before I get there... knowing Im going to feed him on it.
You have got to be freakin' kidding me! :lol:
Buckley is my favorite. Hands down. I've never met him but I love him! Oh Buckley!!! :love
ahahaha I just now saw this... I will tell him he has a fan club, Im sure he wont be surprised. :rolleyes:

as for negative reinforcement, I have mentioned this before.... when Buckley gets too pushy I will charge at him stomping my feet.
He's a fainting goat... so guess what happens? :) Chip is my other buck, he wont faint... but he will scurry out of my way if I ever have to charge after him.... Wish it worked for the girls too.