Trouble maker

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
MReit said:
That has yet to be determined. The tag in his ear, he is definately from a dairy, but he is definately more beef.
I'd guess a jersey cross. Your mom is right, he does look jersey.

MReit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'd say so too probably jerseyxangus, people tend to do that around here, oh well, for the lil price I paid he will taste just fine in another year ............oh yeah, ma, I'm going to see some simm's tomorrow :)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
MReit said:
I'd say so too probably jerseyxangus, people tend to do that around here, oh well, for the lil price I paid he will taste just fine in another year ............oh yeah, ma, I'm going to see some simm's tomorrow :)
With his coloring I would imagine a red angus.

Good luck with the Simm's.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
Well an 80# Jersey/Angus is a fine purchase IMHO
Kitty, MReit gets hankerings for baby calves and visits the local auction, but she has been doing that since she is 12 and she is VERY picky. She hops in the holding pens and checks them out thoroughly before they enter the bidding arena. She also gets them out of there asap after purchase to minimize the exposure.

Makes me wonder if he came from that Jersey farm you are visiting next week.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
One thing though. What is the tag? We have them for bangs vacc. but, you wouldn't give that to a bull calf. I think they use them for Johnes vacc. too but, not sure.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
Not sure about that tag, Kitty. It is the standard state steel tag that they use for dairy cattle. I have no idea why they would tag a bull calf. I told her she should have asked in the office where it came from. They often tell you when you ask-- especially since she knows most of the folks there.
Maybe the person tagging goofed and tagged a bull ( didn't look?)
It's possible they tag the calves at birth to tell them apart instead of waiting for the bangs vac. At least one local Holstein farm does it on premises instead of waiting for the vet at Bangs age.

We surmised that it had to be from a dairy cow because a beef farmer wouldn't tag it or sell it. Maybe someone jumped the fence:)
On the other hand, many Jersey farmers value the Jersey Angus cross for their own table.
Not that many Jersey farms left in the area.
Ah sweet mysteries of life!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here a tag like that is vet applied. But, things are different from state to state unless it's a federal law.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
I know they use those tags in PA for DHIA records too. In fact, I believe the DHIA techs carry some with them to tag calves each month. Then the cow/calf IDs are entered right into the system.
It wouldn't be the first time someone didn't lift a leg before tagging.
Of course, there is obvious beef in that boy. He's certainly not pure anything!
May be a big farm that does it automatically. Hard to tell Jersey babies apart when there is a herd of them!

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
ive got beefmasters that ill have to tag as dairy cattle because they come out paints.an im like well they can pay me reg holstein prices for them.