Trying to learn about udders....PICS and ?'s...

oakmarsh nigerians

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Can I ask also about "correcting" udders? The ADGA has a buck list of "proven" strengthening bucks and the characteristics. Most I saw didn't address udder issues, though..I think..

If you are attempting to improve, how do you decide on the line for that improvement?

No hijack intended here, either!

Can you tell, I'm going to have to wait a year+ to see if my "experiment" worked?

Goatbuckling5711.jpg

Here's my slightly hairy udder shot! The top isn't visible here, but this is the only photo so far of my doe full. I can't believe more experienced folks never took a photo of that basketball from good angles! Are ultra huge udders frowned upon in the show ring?

Hykue

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So I know, a kind of old post, but I wanted to add my hairy udder pics. :) This definitely seemed the right arena for these particular pictures.

I would really like feedback (from what you can tell) on my girl's udder. My other doe . . . well, she hasn't eaten grain in three weeks and I haven't separated her kids yet. We'll see if I can, and then I'll post pictures of her udder too.

This is Dash, my first freshener. She's two, but wasn't bred her first year. I was a little worried she wouldn't be able to produce too much because her rumen seems a little underdeveloped (from outside appearance and overall body shape). I think she's actually doing pretty good. I'm not milking her out, not even close (because I'm slow and inexperienced), and I'm getting about a quart in the mornings. Also, her kids gained 16 and 17 pounds in their first month!

This is her udder at about 3 weeks fresh. These were actually taken on two different days, but she had been apart from her kids for about 10 or 11 hours.

DSCF0368.JPG

DSCF0370.JPG

I was thinking her medial looks okay, pretty good width in the escutcheon, shame about her teat placement, certainly looks like she has acceptable capacity, and her foreudder is a bit lacking (although it's a bit hard to tell in the picture, you can kind of see the dark background through the hair where the udder stops). But I'm basing this off of only pictures on the internet . . . no real-life experience at all here.

Comments? (Other than, "Hooboy, that's a hairy udder", of course. :p Well, you can say that too, if you'd like.)

Latest posts