Undrinkable milk

RJSchaefer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
WhiteMountainsRanch said:
kstaven said:
Some could be diet related. But I would bet on low grade mastitis.

A buck is only an issue if one has bad dairy practice. Beyond that it is an old wives tale.

What do you mean by "bad dairy practice"?
^^ This. Please answer! (In detail, for those of us with inquiring minds!)

SillyChicken

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My guess would be, not being super clean with equipment or washing the udder, or not getting the milk cooled down/strained or handled properly.
I don't think they were trying to criticize, just point out that it can interfere with the taste.

My vote is either mastitis or the goats age.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
SillyChicken said:
My guess would be, not being super clean with equipment or washing the udder, or not getting the milk cooled down/strained or handled properly.
I don't think they were trying to criticize, just point out that it can interfere with the taste.

This last year I boarded my does to be bred and they were in a pen right next to the bucks. The does, the milk, everything about them smelled and tasted yucky/ bucky when I got them home. I had to give them all baths and didn't drink the milk for about a week until the taste subsided. I have to say that in my experience how close the does are to the bucks makes a HUGE difference and it didnt seem to have anything to do with dairy practice.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
When you figure it out please let us know as I have a Togg that has questionable milk as well. Same feed as always, and same feed as others. No browse or pasture right now. Some days her milk is good, other days not so good. Doesn't matter how I milk or how I clean, her milk is just weird. No problems with the Alpines.

I figured it was just a Togg thing. I doubt it is your buck unless he is in rut and rubbing on the girls.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
SillyChicken said:

BINGO!

Now if you where bulk tanking like us I would say check the agitator speed. Goat milk is far more fragile than cows milk. Take a cup of goats milk and put it in a quart jar and shake it for two minutes and then compare taste to that which was not shaken. You will be surprised at what you find.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
babsbag said:
When you figure it out please let us know as I have a Togg that has questionable milk as well. Same feed as always, and same feed as others. No browse or pasture right now. Some days her milk is good, other days not so good. Doesn't matter how I milk or how I clean, her milk is just weird. No problems with the Alpines.

I figured it was just a Togg thing. I doubt it is your buck unless he is in rut and rubbing on the girls.
Reduce or remove the grain or dairy ration on the Togg and the milk taste will change dramatically.

wooliewabbits

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Update: Milk is starting to taste better as we have opened up new pasture and they're on tall sweet grass. It's still not as good as last years milk yet, but not as bad as it has been.
My cooling method is quick! :cool: I use a stainless container (from an icecream maker) in a bath of ice water and and it cools down super fast! :p

I have some Hoegger's acid wash, I should spray everything down like Now. Off to do it before milking. :)