Weather goat 106.7 temp

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh dang... I wish I knew the answer for that. I'm not familiar with Sweet Beets so no idea if it would color his urine. I guess the best way to know is to stop feeding it and see if anything changes. Disregard my saying that it might be ok to give him a handful of grain! If his urine is off colored I wouldn't.

Is he straining when he pees? Here's a question for you? Would you feel comfortable doing something gross? I'm wondering if you could feel the hairs at the end of his pizzle and see if they feel gritty. That might give you an idea if he's passing "grit" in his urine. Have you been able to get him some ammonium chloride?

Oh - Just saw that you talked to the vet. Glad about that! When I'm trying to collect urine I tape a plastic cup to a light weight stick or piece of PVC pipe. That way you can stand back and still collect the sample.

Good luck! Hope the vet has some answers. You might ask about the ammonium chloride and get their opinion.

Good luck!

tjo804

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh dang... I wish I knew the answer for that. I'm not familiar with Sweet Beets so no idea if it would color his urine. I guess the best way to know is to stop feeding it and see if anything changes. Disregard my saying that it might be ok to give him a handful of grain! If his urine is off colored I wouldn't.

Is he straining when he pees? Here's a question for you? Would you feel comfortable doing something gross? I'm wondering if you could feel the hairs at the end of his pizzle and see if they feel gritty. That might give you an idea if he's passing "grit" in his urine. Have you been able to get him some ammonium chloride?

Oh - Just saw that you talked to the vet. Glad about that! When I'm trying to collect urine I tape a plastic cup to a light weight stick or piece of PVC pipe. That way you can stand back and still collect the sample.

Good luck! Hope the vet has some answers. You might ask about the ammonium chloride and get their opinion.

Good luck!
Yes of course i am ok with gross :thumbsup:yesss: if it will help him i am all over gross.
I just popped in to grab a quick bite and then I am back out to the barn where he is in a 8 x 5 space so I got a plastic penut butter jug and we will try to fill it up. He is Nigerian Dwarf I didnt answer that earlier and he bred 4 does and was 11 1/2 months old when he was weathered. He does seem to be in a bit of pain he is laying down now and when he gets up I will try to feel the hairs for grit. Thank you for the idea.

tjo804

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
got a small sample :celebrate when he was finished I rubbed my fingers in the hairs and rolled them together Nothing gritty. he laid down again and I will try to get a larger sample in the morning if I can. For now it is watery not thickened at all and I have pictures.
urine sample.jpg
urine sample 2.jpg

smart beets I copied this from the add
"Standlee Premium Products Smart Beet Shreds are formed from dried beet pulp after removing the sugar. Smart Beet is an excellent addition to any ration as a low starch, low protein, highly digestible food source."

tjo804

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just like a bully stick treat for dogs. :duc
yep it said that too. I am just odd ball enough that I have not figured out what to do with the boys manhood :old because manhood seems to be so under attack I wanted to honor them. So for now I have 2 paper bags with dried testes in my china hutch. :idunnoIf I dont figure it out my children will be thrilled when they open those bags after I am dead. :lol:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pizzle is his penis. At slaughter places, they take the bull pizzle and dry it for dog chews. I’ve even seen walking sticks made from bull pizzle. So now if you see bully chews for dogs in the pet aisles, you know what it is.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
LOL - sorry I should have been more specific. Pizzle is penis. On goats there is a tiny little end to the penis that is a place where lots of calculi get blocked. Some vets (and owners) will actually snip that tiny little end off the penis and oftentimes that can solve the problem.

Pretty obvious that the sample you got (congrats on catching it) is not normal. Was he straining to pee or does he just let it rip?