Weather goat 106.7 temp

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looked this up -- for all of us.....

They suggest this is muscle damage often. So he may have been butted hard, got a foot caught and pulled a muscle or such....

Myoglobinuria in goats is treated by rehydration to help the kidneys clear myoglobin and prevent acute kidney injury:

Saline: Administer normal saline or Ringer's lactate to maintain a urine output of 200–300 mL/hour.

Mannitol: May be used to help with osmotic diuresis.

Electrolytes: Manage electrolyte abnormalities like hyperkalemia conservatively.

Myoglobinuria is caused by muscle injury or necrosis, which releases myoglobin into the plasma and renal tubular fluid. Urine containing myoglobin can be normal in color, but it can also appear dark red or brown if there are high concentrations of myoglobin.

To prevent myoglobin in goat urine, you can:

Provide goats with unlimited access to clean, fresh water

Add salt to encourage water intake

Reduce the amount of grain and concentrate fed to goats

Acidify urine by adding 10 grams of ammonium chloride to the goat's feed daily

tjo804

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I need to get a couple of supplies then I will give him the meds I want to be home to watch him.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
The major concern is to keep kidneys flushed, while whatever heals and stops releasing this into his system. The ringers can be IV but, can also be SQ if you don't have an IV port. So, lighter color urine is the goal!!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
OH no - so sorry to hear this! @Mini Horses has given you some great advice. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. If it's muscle breakdown I'd try to keep him very quiet and still and just hope and pray he can do some healing. :hugs