What are your goats' names and why?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Heidi- because she is a tri and just looked like a Heidi (Nigerian Dwarf)

Katie- wanted to name her Holly but everyone hated it and everyone agreed to Katie (Nigerian Dwarf) sister to Heidi

Millie- my son named her Amelia so it's Millie for short, the breeder's grandchildren were calling her Molly. Millie suits her because she is
real sweet but always in trouble(innocently-not much sense) like Amelia Badelia. Boy is she is a beauty! (Lamancha)

Will- Named him at two days old when the breeder sent me picks of my new buckling boy. He looked soooo dignified. By the time I picked him up from the breeder he didn't look quite the same! He should be named funny face or Pinnochio! His color is very deep but the colored areas on the face make him look sooo undignified, really funny face. Hard to take him serious :lol: . I love his colors and I think he is going to throw some great color but good golly I hope none of his kids have the color on their face. He has great structure but the big black splotch that runs on the one side and down his cheek makes him look :gig! (Nigerian Dwarf)

Kid- We call her c-1 ( actually straw hat calls her that, I call her baby) no name yet. I'm not sure if I am going to retain her or not. (Nigerian Dwarf- Heidi's and SHK "Caleb" kid)

2goats8kids

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Our herd name is "Herb of Grace", so we wanted herbs as "middle" names - chose the herbs that match the goat's predominant color.

Sarabi Saffron: "Sarabi", from the Lion King movie, because when she was new and we were choosing names, she looked like a little lion cub.

Selkie Santolina: The breeder called her a "blue roan", so we played with names from a family favorite movie, "The Secret of Roan Inish". There is a magical creature in the movie called a selkie, so that's where we got that.

It's been fun reading how people came to their goat names!

Splashy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have 4 goats. 3 of them were already named when I got them.

Splash - She Is the lamancha herd queen.

Sandy - she is an alpine.

Hope - she is also an alpine.

Ephraim- is our pygmy buck(Don't tell him he's a pygmy):lol: I named him Ephraim because it means fruitful.

Lulu

MrsCowher

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
elevan said:
Daisy - Pygmy doe - that was her name when we got her.
Ranger - ND buck - I was testing names out loud and when I said that he looked right at me.
Snickers - Pygmy / ND buck - He's the color of a Snickers bar, chocolate, nougat and caramel :p
Kingston - Pygmy wether - As an honor to my grandpa, it was his middle name
Diva - Pygmy doe - She's a diva
Maggie - Pygmy doe - It's actually Maggie Maehem (as in mayhem). She's a trouble maker
Lilly - Pygmy doe - her name when we got her
Precious - Pygmy / ND doeling - DH thought she was just so precious :rolleyes:
Priya - Pygmy / ND doeling - Priya means beloved, she's her mama's beloved
Goldie - Pygmy doe - her name when we got her
Manch - LaMacha / Alpine wether - just an abbreviated moniker to identify him
Alp - Alpine wether - just an abbreviated moniker to identify him
Did you choose Maggie Maehem because of the movie Whip It?

hbmimsy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Mine are all Shakespearean names.
Puck (La Mancha) and Theseus (Nigerian Dwarf) from A Midsummer's Night Dream
Beatrice (Mini-LaMancha) from Much Ado About Nothing
and Phoebe (Mini-Alpine) is from As You Like It.

PendergrassRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just picked up our first goats last night. They were intended for dog food but Drew wants to keep them around to mow the pasture for a while.

They are Guido and Tuffy, 3 year old Angora goats. Those are the names they came with and I kind of like them :p

DSC05443.jpg

SillyChicken

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Mike and Ike.......(pygmy wethers) they came that way

I have to add we got a Nigerian do already named star.

wishin4horses

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This was fun reading all the names. 3 pages and everyone so different!

We bought our first doeling and wether last year and named her Little China (her mom's name was China and we loved it)
and hubby named him Denver. We decided to name any new babies after places on our 'want to visit someday' list.

This spring, we got twins from China and we named the first Vegas after the place we wanted to go for our honeymoon but didn't get there. The second was harder, My son wanted to name her Rome and my daughter wanted to name her Jamaica.
We got out the globe and found Italy would be a perfect name.

This summer, we bought a buckling and named him Rome, he gets Romeo alot.

Next spring, the first baby girl was promised to be named Jamaica.
And if we get twins again, we may get a Disney.

Egg_Newton

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a white ND with blue eyes named Heavenly cause sue looks so angelic.. A buckskin named Abigail cause I love the Beatles and already have a dog named Abbey. a gold doe who I call Miss Sue cause she was already named Tiramisu when I got her. And a new baby who I'm leaning toward Cocoa cause she is chocolate.

Egg_Newton

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I now have a Mini Nubian whose name is Toasted Marshmallow. I've been calling her Mellow cause she's so sweet and calm.