What kind of Hay do you give your rabbit?

rabbitlady4433

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I feed Prairie Hay- is this the same thing as Orchard? It is basically the only option I have from my feed store. I had almost bought the stuff they feed horses, but the lady there said that prairie hay was "finer" than that so that's what I buy. My rabbits have been on it for a year with no problems. And at $6 a bale, affordable!

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Mitransplant said:
Could someone PLEASE explain the different kinds of hay to me and what they look like and where to get them? I have "hay" out on our 20 acres but not sure what it is and what Timothy hay is that a lot of you talk about. I would really appreciate any help here. THANKS.
Different types of hay are just different types of grass. Some types of hay have regional names as well. Alfalfa is a clover, timothy is a grass, bermuda is a grass, straw is usually they left over stalk of a grain crop. Any type of grass/crop can be baled. Check the local livestock feed stores and see what they have. It is cheaper to buy by the bale than at the pet store in small packages.

As for what is in your pasture, it depends on what is growing. Did you plant something specific or is it just a natural mix? When we had cattle in S. Tx we just baled what grew in the field and that is what we fed during the summer. Down there you feed in the summer, grass grows in the fall/winter most years.

hoodat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I keep timothy hay available for my rabbits at all times but I also feed a lot of weeds and grass out of my garden and they really don't pay much attention to the hay excpt when they get bored and amuse themselves by strewing it around.

Mitransplant

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
terri9630
I have only lived here for 5 years and the land has been cut and baled since before I moved to it. It is whatever grew I guess. I have been using the hay for the chickens and was wondering it that would be good enough for the rabbits or if I needed to buy the Timothy. I will let them out in a protected cage in the summer to eat what is on the ground that we mow as a yard, no fertilizer or anything on it. I let three chickens out daily to eat what they want free range. I have to many hawks to let the better layers out. Don't care about the three, they don't lay regularly and if the hawks don't get them I might let the others out this summer.
I haven't seen they guy who cuts the field to see if he has planted anything or just let the field grow but will ask. Will also try and find the Timothy one of my trips out since I have plenty of time before getting the bunnies. THANK YOU all for answering my questions.

tortoise

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Any hay is OK. Alfalfa hay is higher protein, but it's not a huge difference. As long as rabbit's urine doesn't have sediment (looks like mustard) then there's no problem.

BackyardCritters

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
we feed a fescue mix. Luckily DH square baled about 150 bales last year and it has came in handy when feeding the bunnies and calves. The rabbits really like it. I also sometimes feed wheat straw with lespedeza mixed in-they really liked that too.

Ozark Daisy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Timothy hay is perfectly fine.
I wish I had a good source for it.
I just give my rabbits the hay that we bale around our farm. They seem to like it.
Brome hay does not seem to be on the top of their list of favourite foods. I think it has to much fiber in it.:hu

hoodat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Fiber is one of the main reasons for hay but if they won't eat it that's a moot point. You'll have to find a hay they will accept. The reason for fiber is to keep things moving along in the digestive tract. Hair can mat in the digestive system and cause blockage if they don't have fiber to move it out. They can't spit up hairballs like a cat.

nicktide

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
More and more vets and other experts are not recommending pellets. They are almost entirely alfalfa which is extremely high in calcium. If your rabbit has a litter box (some of my rabbits do) there will be a coating of calcium in it. I feed my rabbits timothy hay, as much as they want. for pregenant and lactating does, i give them half timothy and half alfalfa to increase the protein. my basic rabbit feed mix is 1.5 part crimped oats, 1.5 part wheat and 1 part pellets. Some rabbits cant be given the mix becaus ethey dig out their favorite but most eat what they get.

BTW. This also saves me a good bit of cash. $4 per 45 lb bale of hay, 7.50 per 50 lbs wheat or oats.

flemish lops

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Does any one give oak or maple leaves to there rabbits? I get a few leaves in the hay that I give my rabbits and was woundering if the leaves are ok for them.