Wouldn't y'all just swear..."Sick" kid pic / video - new update pg. 6

RPC

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Poor little guy that is really sad. I hope you can figure out what is wrong with him.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Well, the kicker for me here has been since he's not 'my' kid, and I was told not to take him to the vet by the owner...I've been trying every other way to fix him...BUT...my vet (god love him) saw the post on FB and wants me to call him tomorrow. Says he has an idea. :fl

Snowhunter

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
fingers crossed!!! :fl :fl Hopefully somethin can get figured out so the poor guy doesn't hafta suffer. He is adorable!

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Hmm...CAE sounds like a possibility for the buck but in the first post Rolls said the dam had no colostrum (which could also be explained with a CAE + doe). I'm pretty sure Rolls heat treats her colostrum.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
His dam has tested CAE- twice...(she came from me - her name is Mandy) and I milked her for years.

Backstory....

Mandy, her daughter Hannah (Peyton's dam) and Weiner (Nub x Saanen) were sold to a friend (R), who then had a bad, bad, bad year last year (2 yr old daughter started having health problems, then he was diagnosed w/ some iron disease that makes him have to have blood drawn out weekly, the the 2 yr old started seizing and had to be admitted to the hospital. She has a 40$ word disease in her brain-no cure, not fatal if treated but I can't remember the name, sorry).

Through all that the goats were left unattended a lot b/c they had to leave w/ no notice to rush to the childrens' hospital.

Mandy and Hannah came here for most of the summer, Weiner went to R's dad's house b/c she was in milk.

When things settled down, he took Mandy and Hannah (both bred) back home. Mandy kidded (Austin, my nice black kid this year - she was my 'payment' for keeping / feeding them) and right about then his daughter had another bad spell and had to go back to the hospital. He asked me to either take them back or sell them for him....so I found a buyer....

This other friend (J) put them in w/ all his goats (one big happy family) and his boer buck must have rebred Mandy right away. Hannah delivered a dead kid a few mos. ago.

Fast forward 5 mos....that friend (J) has all his goats at his parents' house b/c he's in the process of moving. They're staying w/ a friend of the family. Mandy unexpectedly kids these guys, has no milk (he said only 'pus' came from her udder....I figure the 1st guy was too busy to milk her / she got mastitis after having Austin) so he calls me....when I tell him I really have no room / time / spare milk b/c I'm waiting for Shawnee to kid...he says, "I guess they're probably going to die then..."

So here they are.

They've only had Penny's colostrum / milk....who's also tested CAE - 2x. And it all gets heat treated / past. just in case b/c I'm a paranoid worrier like that.

That's really interesting info, RTG, and I'm glad to know it...but I don't think that's the problem w/ him....plus he's only 1 wk old.

THE GOOD NEWS IS, his neck seems much much better this morning, and he's WAGGING HIS TAIL - that's a 1st, it's always hung down.

So either the Pen G or B shot from last night musta helped....? He'll get more of both this morning.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Whew, that is great! Glad to hear he is making progress.

(And that stinks that your game-going experience was lousy-we go to a lot of them and have had a few of those too).