Wouldn't y'all just swear..."Sick" kid pic / video - new update pg. 6

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
My first thought was joint or naval ill, but he'd have a fever. What about white muscle diesase? It frequently affects newborn kids. Has he had vit. E or selenium? It could also be vit. D deficiency (rickets) maybe? Maybe a shot of Vit. A , D, E would help?

edited to fix typos

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Well, now his little neck is curve to where it looks almost like he's trying to look over his shoulder. His neck was fine yesterday...? He was just weak in the legs.
Still eating / pooping / peeing good, no fever, the treatment for FKS made no miraculous change and he's had BoSe and an E tablet 2x, along w/ red cell and Nutri Drench. And B shots.

I'm starting to wonder if he wasn't 'born this way'...he's only a week old. His sister is fine n dandy....

WIERD!

PS, Thanks for the update, RTG....keep me posted.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Here's a pic

kid.jpg

And here's a link to a video. Yesterday he could barely walk....today he can run but his head's all whoppycacked....

He's had: BoSe, B vit, pen G, Vitamin E, nutridrench, red cell, baking soda, and thiamine. Eats / poops / pees fine. No temp.

ETA: He's had 2 doses of children's ibuprofen today, the running started after that. This morning he was still 'stove up' and not walking well.

:idunno

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150322945745100&saved

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I don't know about goats but.....both my husband and I just watched the video and we both said, "Torticollis!" AKA "wry neck." It is a muscle spasm in the neck. Massage the shortened side to the depth that just makes him squeak. Look at a picture of a goat skeleton and picture the bones as you explore the muscles in his neck. Try to not "rub," rather, try to feel the vertebra through the muscles, that will get your fingertips to make the most effective movements. Might help. Might not. Gives you something to do. When I had the buckling with the twisted leg I did this after each bottle and one extra if I was cuddling the kids, so 4-5 times a day for just a minute or two.

Here is a short explanation of wry neck in people found with a quick google search: http://www.australiandoctor.com.au/patient/030912AccuteWryNeck.pdf

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Thanks, Free....can't hurt, might help.

I just don't get how he can RUN today, when he could barely walk this morning...and his neck was fine yesterday, now doing this today.

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Since mom rejected I'm wondering if maybe she didn't toss him around a bit and he has a spinal/muscular injury of some kind. The reject whether we have was TOSSED across the barn by his dam. She literally hooked him with her horns and threw him about 6 ft into a wall. She tried to kill him a couple times after that as well, kicking and the like. She was convinced she only had one kid and he wasn't it. We got him when he was 18hrs old and he was pretty freaked out and banged up.

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
wry neck in rabbits is thought to be caused by a protozoa. ivermectin was mentioned as a treatment. EPM is a protazoa disease in horses, medication available to treat it. no way he could have gotten his head hung in something and pulled hard enough to misalign a vertabrea in his neck?? just some ideas i am throwing out there