Apple Cider Vinegar

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
ACV shouldn't hurt your dogs. I have used distilled vinegar for years in my watering troughs for the goats. They will drink more water because they love the taste of the vinegar. The vinegar keeps algae from growing in the water troughs during the summer and warm months. There's an old wives tale that says if you use vinegar in the drinking water of your does, they will have a higher % of doelings to bucklings during kidding season. I use 1 gallon of white distilled vinegar to 100 gallons of water in my water tank year round. Sometimes I go as high as 1 and 1/2 gallons of vinegar in the hottest parts of summer. I think the vinegar also helps make a more acidic environment for the stomach worms and helps combat them.

WilRaynor

Just born
Reaction score
I searched acne and someone mentioned using apple cider vinegar as a toner, but I would really like to hear how that works before I try it. Also, if it makes me smell like vinegar all day. :0

FarmScapeGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ACV is just plain awesomeness. I use it for just about everything. Even down to conditioning my own hair with it. All our waterers get a good sized "splash" every other day. I've heard, not sure though, that it also acts as a good internal mosquito and fly repellent for horses. Either way, all my critters (except one very picking old gelding) love it.

Martin's Grove

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm going to try using the vinegar for my goats water. How soon can you safely put vinegar in baby chicks water? I figure if they develop a taste for it young then it shouldn't be a problem to get them to drink it as adults.

FarmScapeGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Martin's Grove said:
I'm going to try using the vinegar for my goats water. How soon can you safely put vinegar in baby chicks water? I figure if they develop a taste for it young then it shouldn't be a problem to get them to drink it as adults.
My chicks don't get it till about 12 - 18 weeks when they get moved out into the main run. Only because there are weekers and up in the smaller runs. I'm sure they can have it earlier, just not sure how early.

farmgirl01

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Everyone gets it here a few times a week.

Harbisgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I heard that it is good to give to new chicks as well - helps prevent pasty butt. I've never had that problem but I've been prepared. I usually start mine on ACV in their water at about 6 weeks. Until then they are on chick electrolytes anyway so it seems like an overkill

Martin's Grove

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I've been giving my 2 week old chicks a blend of vitamins, electrolytes & probiotics. It's called Rooster Booster. It's for poultry of all ages. Seems to be working well.

Livestock lover

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Apple Cider vinegar is used for so many things. I wouldn't be surprised....

Latest posts