Baymule’s 2024 Lambing plus 12-23

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Auction sale percentage is 10%, Yardage (charge per day per animal) is $1/head, I scrapie tag all mine so no idea what charge would be for that but probably not much.

By the way, do you have any written agreement between you and the owner about you taking care of or acting as the owner' agent? You might consider getting something in writing if he is having you sell animals or transport for him.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
This morning I worked on the gate to the front field. I put a wheel on the gate so I don’t have to drag it. Ewes waited to be let into the field. Finally I opened their gate and they ran for the grass.

First lamb of 2024! Brownie was due yesterday. She is registered and small due to worms that the ignorant horrible woman I bought her and 2 others from, was too stupid to properly worm and care for them. Her shining feat is that she survived the parasites.

This is Brownie’s second lamb. Her first was Ringo 2.0 the only registered ram I have from Ringo. I had to help her with her first lamb, so I’ve been keeping a close eye on her.

So I watched as she circled a few times and had a string of goop hanging out.

IMG_5667.jpeg

Sheba was in the field, so I got a chair and we watched Brownie give birth. A couple of black vultures circled overhead and Sheba lit up barking. They flew off.

Dont be fooled, Sheba is watching.

IMG_5669.jpeg

Brownie went down several times, pushing.

IMG_5670.jpeg

A dark colored lamb hit the ground!

IMG_5673.jpeg

After several tries, lamb stood up.

IMG_5676.jpeg

Breakfast! Birthing is hard work!

IMG_5677.jpeg

I was glad Brownie had her lamb in the field instead of the muddy pen! But I wanted to put them both in the small pen so I could feed her separately for a few days and give the little one time to gain strength. I picked up the lamb, carried low so Brownie could follow and got them both in the small pen. I put Sheba back in the middle field with Buford and put Sentry in the front field to protect the other lambs.

Buford was intensely interested in the ewe, lamb, but most of all, the treat bag that was hanging out Brownie’s back end. He stuck his head through the cow panel, I said no. I remembered what @Ridgetop said about wrapping the placenta around my hand and crying in pain when the dogs tried to lick it. Brownie still had possession of it, so I offered my goopy hand, from carrying the lamb, to Buford. He sniffed and I cried out, I threw in a couple of puppy YIPE’s. He backed away and went back to the tantalizing treat still attached to Brownie. He stuck his nose through the cow panel and I cried, OW! Boo-hoo’ed and puppy YIPE’s again. Buford backed off. He looked at her, I merely pointed my finger at him and he flashed me his “I’m in trouble grin.” He laid down and I praised him.

IMG_5679.jpeg

After a bit, he moved out farther and joined Sheba in a nap.

IMG_5680.jpeg

Lamb is all brown with a few white hairs on HER head. It’s a EWE!!

IMG_5682.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Took some pictures of Frimplepants twins, born 12-20-23. The ram is solid black, eye catching and is shaping up to have good conformation. I’ve named him Zulu and I’m going to offer him for a commercial sire. 6 weeks and 3 days old. He’s second generation, out of Cooper with Ringo as grand sire. He’ll make someone a good flock sire. I’m keeping the ewe.

IMG_5896.jpeg

IMG_5897.jpeg

IMG_5898.jpeg