Baymule’s Journal

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Saw on Mike's journal you said neighbors -- whom you bought your property from -- had sold out of their livestock. I believe you had previously said they were selling off more land....so, have they "retired" or just weathering the weather/feed$ and all the economy is throwing at us?

It's definitely an unsettling time for everyone, especially farmers &/or livestock breeders. I'm looking at staying pretty much "as is" and hoping sales of kids will offset a decent portion of feed. Fortunate that, so far, my area has had rains to keep grass growing. Local hay is fine with 2nd cuttings happening. At this rate, a third is possible for some. Of course, prices aren't lowering 🙄

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Saw on Mike's journal you said neighbors -- whom you bought your property from -- had sold out of their livestock. I believe you had previously said they were selling off more land....so, have they "retired" or just weathering the weather/feed$ and all the economy is throwing at us?

It's definitely an unsettling time for everyone, especially farmers &/or livestock breeders. I'm looking at staying pretty much "as is" and hoping sales of kids will offset a decent portion of feed. Fortunate that, so far, my area has had rains to keep grass growing. Local hay is fine with 2nd cuttings happening. At this rate, a third is possible for some. Of course, prices aren't lowering 🙄

Sold out. Done. They have the 16 acres they are now living on plus 40 acres on the north side of me. They are going to sell that too. Their kids aren’t interested and would sell the land, blow the money as soon as they were dead, so they decided to sell out, spend the money on their retirement, doing things they never got to do. I say more power to them.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It’s 5:24 PM. It’s 102F, heat index of 107F. Need to feed dogs, sheep, horse, water, pile hay in wagon, haul3-4 loads to sheep, 1 to horse. Picking up hay tomorrow. But right now I’m so unmotivated.

I can put on enough clothes to stay warm. Even during Snowmeggdon in temperatures of-6F, I dressed in layers and kept warm.
I could walk outside right now freaking naked and still be hot. Got another month of this.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Twenty five rolls of hay. One had the net wrap messed up and is set aside to feed first.

IMG_4744.jpeg

Yay! I have another massive dead oak tree! It will have to come down. That’s the house to the far left. There’s a fence that I’ll have to take down. The structure on the right is that crappy shed, gonna take that down. There are 16’ gates leaned up against it, I’ll have to find a place to put them, then move them. In between are 2 totes, with a hole in the side, they were dog houses. Don’t need them. Between them and the gates are several rolls of sheep and goat wire. On the other side of the tree is a power line going from house breaker box to the shed. That will have to come down too. All this has to happen before the shipping containers can be brought in.

IMG_4745.jpeg

With it being about a thousand degrees outside, I’m not real enthusiastic about all this. But it’s now on my radar to get this done, so I’ll make it happen.

I’m gonna have to make a place to unload all those 8’ treated posts too. The fun never stops.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
BTW Bay, why does all this work pile up in the hottest summer on record in Texas? How many gates are there? Can you use them to make a sheep pen on the unfenced grass? If the horizontal spacing is too wide, you can just string some 24" chicken wire to keep the sheep inside. Not the dogs though.

Looks like some good metal roofing on the shed to the right. Can you salvage that for your new barn? Salvaging the good from the old and bad is great, and I love doing it, but it takes work and in 1000 degree heat, that is not something to look forward to. So sorry about losing another tree. That sucks.