Baymule’s Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Last week and today I’ve been working on a lean-to behind the portable building. When son was last here, he punched 6 holes for posts with the tractor auger. We didn’t measure real good, just kinda sorta halfway maybe. Close enough. So last week I refuges the holes with post hole diggers and set 4x4s. One was tall and curved. Another one was tall, one was just about right and 3 were short. I didn’t have a single piece of lumber long enough for what o needed. So I spliced together short boards to make long boards and made it work. I had used corrugated tin and put them on the roof. As I laid a piece, I filled the holes with black roof pitch. Gooey stuff.

I put a piece on and needed one more piece of tin.

IMG_5093.jpeg

Found it. This string of CRAPTASTIC chicken coops are slowly coming down as I raid them for materials.

IMG_5094.jpeg

Now I had to get it out of there. I got my tools. It was wired to the chain link, bolt cutters took care of that. Wrecking bar, hammers, it’s go time.

IMG_5095.jpeg

It was nailed in with 4” ring shank nails. I even had to dig out the bottom.

IMG_5096.jpeg

Finally dragged it out of there. Saw a 2x4 I could pry up without too much trouble, and I could use it. It was also nailed down with 4” ring shank nails.

IMG_5097.jpeg

I got the piece of corrugated tin screwed to the roof. Then I pieced together boards to put on the end. I got one pieced together for the side, need to make another one. Maybe tomorrow. Then I’ll have to raid the chicken coops for more tin. But I got 2 R panel pieces run across the back.

IMG_5098.jpeg

IMG_5099.jpeg

This is not water tight, it’s just to keep most of the rain off. Scrap and crap, it’s temporary, maybe a year.

Son’s big lawn mower is in the open front shed that I’m going to tear down. I’m going to park it in here and cover it with a tarp. Right now it has 2 front flat tires. I’ll have to run extension cords out to the shed and use my compressor to air them up. Then I can start it and move it. BUT…. I parked tractor implements in the way, so will have to move them first.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just saw a logging truck go out, loaded. I thought they were through. My house looks so bare. No trees. No forest next to me, all gone. Tomorrow morning the dead oak in the back is coming down. I have one oak tree left. It’s in the back in a place where it casts no shade on the house.

I need to move a H brace up front, in the driveway. I’m going to pull out fence staples and get the wire loose today. I’ll brace T-posts to keep the wire tight. I’ll ask Bennett to pull it up with his tractor tomorrow.

But first I’ll go get my second cup of coffee and lounge around some more.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I worked on a H brace at the end of the driveway today. It took over an hour just to pull staples and unwrap the wire. I put a lot of staples on it. I have a tendency to do something “forever” not thinking that someday I might need to move it.

IMG_5100.jpeg

This H brace has to be pulled and reset further up the driveway, about 20 feet. Son can get in and out with 30’ trailer, it’s tight, but he can do it. A truck delivering 40’ shipping containers won’t make it, thus the H brace must be moved.

I took wire loose from T - posts and rolled the wire back. I drove 2 T-posts at an angle to standing T-posts to keep the fence wire tight.

IMG_5105.jpeg

I dug around the posts and poured 2 gallons of water around each one. Then at 6:00 this evening, I poured 2 more gallons of water around each one. This is to soften the dirt so Bennett can pull the brace up tomorrow.