Baymule’s Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dead tree came down this morning. On one side is the sheds, other side is high line electrical feed to the house. Behind is a portable building and my house. Straight ahead, wide open pasture.

IMG_5109.jpeg

Bennett brought 2 tractors, one to pull on the tree, one to put the bucket up against the tree to help keep it from falling backwards. He brought a steel cable. Chase and I convinced him that it wasn’t long enough. I brought out a chain and Bennett had brought one. The 2 chains added 40’ in length.

IMG_5111.jpeg

Bennett used hay string and a rock tied on the end, to throw it up in the tree and over a branch. Then he used a rope tied to the hay string, to pull the rope around the tree trunk and branch. Then he tied the rope to the steel cable and pulled the steel cable up and around the tree. This put the cable up high for more leverage. Then steel cable tied to 2 chains, chain tied to tractor. Bennett kept the tension tight as Chase sawed.

IMG_5113.jpeg

It took awhile, it’s a big tree. But soon it came crashing down.

IMG_5119.jpeg

This picture shows how close it was to the power lines.

IMG_5122.jpeg

Then it was time for iced tea break.

On his way out, Bennett pulled up the H brace. It came apart, no problem. I’ll just build it again.

IMG_5123.jpeg

Then somebody’s cows were out and I had to get the dogs put up. They were barking at the cows, scaring them and hampering attempts to corral them. Cows broke into another field and everyone was satisfied with that until their owners can come.

The last of the logging equipment just went past my driveway, they are finished here.

Been a busy morning.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dead tree came down this morning. On one side is the sheds, other side is high line electrical feed to the house. Behind is a portable building and my house. Straight ahead, wide open pasture.

View attachment 101730

Bennett brought 2 tractors, one to pull on the tree, one to put the bucket up against the tree to help keep it from falling backwards. He brought a steel cable. Chase and I convinced him that it wasn’t long enough. I brought out a chain and Bennett had brought one. The 2 chains added 40’ in length.

View attachment 101731

Bennett used hay string and a rock tied on the end, to throw it up in the tree and over a branch. Then he used a rope tied to the hay string, to pull the rope around the tree trunk and branch. Then he tied the rope to the steel cable and pulled the steel cable up and around the tree. This put the cable up high for more leverage. Then steel cable tied to 2 chains, chain tied to tractor. Bennett kept the tension tight as Chase sawed.

View attachment 101732

It took awhile, it’s a big tree. But soon it came crashing down.

View attachment 101733

This picture shows how close it was to the power lines.

View attachment 101734

Then it was time for iced tea break.

On his way out, Bennett pulled up the H brace. It came apart, no problem. I’ll just build it again.

View attachment 101735

Then somebody’s cows were out and I had to get the dogs put up. They were barking at the cows, scaring them and hampering attempts to corral them. Cows broke into another field and everyone was satisfied with that until their owners can come.

The last of the logging equipment just went past my driveway, they are finished here.

Been a busy morning.
Wow! That was quite a morning. Nothing better than getting bigs things done before the weekend. 👍🏼👍🏼

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh no @Ridgetop - don’t give her any ideas, she’ll be building a fireplace or installing a wood burning stove! 😉
Not to worry, there isn’t anywhere to put a wood heater in here. There are no nooks, no out of the way places to safely install one. And I have too much stuff. I do have a propane heater, it goes at the end of the kitchen cabinets, sorta sticks out and I must caution the granddaughters about running past it. Son brought it in last Christmas when we had a hard freeze lasting a week. Granddaughters loved the heat from it, central heat just doesn’t have that hot spot to go warm up to.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can you find an old firescreen that is hinged on 2 sides? You can put that around the heater in winter to remind the girls.
Not to mention Carson, my Velcro dog! He loved laying in front of it.

Speaking of Carson, today I emptied a metal cabinet in the utility room, so I could move it to the bathroom. I took tools and things out to the mule and drove it to the portable building to put things in it, then to the shed to put things in it. Now I’m doomed again, I’ll never find the tools when I need them. LOL But back to Carson, he had to ride the mule with me to each stop, or else I had to bear his reproachful eyes…..