Baymule’s Journal

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
SO TRUE!! Just have to remind myself AC in house BEFORE more farm tools. Must have cool space...
Nah... just roll in some mud then sit in front of a fan.

Then again I have spent a decent amount of time in Texas with out AC.

OR.... my mom said "of course I grew up with AC. Get your head wet, then get into bed and pop the top sheet a few times... AC! "

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Son can use his tractor to pull building up to driveway so mover can get to it. The wood fence will be gone. Friends of my sister will take it down. We can back a trailer to the garage and pile the metal on it.
Are those friends keeping the wood fence materials? If not, it would be good for a bottle lamb pen, or skirting on the house porch. The garage deck will add enough material for another barn for the rams.

SCORE BIG TIME! Finally, some good luck after all that flooding! And thank heaven for Layne's expertise to take everything apart safely! :hugs

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It rained yesterday afternoon. It rained again during the night. And it just started raining again this morning. Spot showers, but it’s enough to keep everything wet.

I saw tapeworms segments in poop in the ewes and lambs pen. So yesterday the girls and I put them through the chute and wormed them all for tapeworms. They were a big help.

I really need some sunshine here!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It’s pouring now. 95% chance of rain. Ya’ think?

The county hasn’t been back to do more work on the road. Looks like the bandaid rock dump on the worst places is all we are going to get.

IMG_6741.png

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have NEVER, EVER, NEVER had young lambs with worms. This constant rain has caused an unprecedented parasite bloom. Most of my lambs look good, some look bad and one dropped dead. This came out of nowhere , all of a sudden. I took a fecal sample to the vet yesterday, after the rain finally stopped. I suspected coccidia. It came back loaded with stomach worms, tapeworms and coccidia. The vet said everyone is having horrible problems with parasites.

All the rain, heat and more rain, mud and more rain has caused a parasite bloom like I’ve never experienced.

Vet recommended a shot of Dectomax, followed by a 5 day regimen of Panacur. I want to take fecal samples from some of the big healthy looking lambs, just to compare.

So, getting to the vet yesterday was quite the adventure. I took the Kawasaki mule after the rains quit, figuring the road would be sloppy muddy and the truck would probably slide off in a ditch. Road was a sloppy mess. Once on the paved road, the mule quit, I barely coasted onto the grassy shoulder. Great. Me and girls got out, they promptly stood on an ant hill. We slapped ants and picked off stragglers. A neighbor came by and I told him I ran out of fuel, diesel. He went and got some, mule started and we went to my car, parked at church.

At the 4 way stop, just up the road, was Chris, with hood of his truck up. He had stopped to help another man, then his truck wouldn’t start. Other guy left, I waited on Chris to tinker with his truck, he finally said he was out of gas. I offered to take him back to Apple Springs for gas, but he said just take him home and he’d catch a ride to get gas.

You can’t make this stuff up!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It has rain d since January 8. There’s been some sunny days sprinkled in there but not many.
Inside to cool off, rink bottle of water and made cinnamon toast for the girls. Been dragging wire around to make a straight line from gate to chute’s opening. Lambs like to play ring around the rosies, racing around the hoop hut and Quonset huts. Can’t catch ‘em! Got to go pound someT-posts.
Girls can watch cartoons until I’m ready to run sheep in the chute. Then they can help!