Baymule’s Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Visiting dogs have had breakfast, been outside 3 times and are snoozing.

Where are my girls?

IMG_6781.jpeg

Are they here? Are they here? Is that them?

IMG_6782.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Going to run ewes that I weaned lambs off a week ago, through the chute this morning to take fecal samples. I need to see if any are still wormy and what the count is. I’ve cut way back on their feed, they can go hustle the grass, there’s lots of it!

I need to mow more of the back field this week too. Got goat weed in the middle field, up around the sheep pens. I mowed a lot of it last year, it sure reduced it a lot this year. Need to mow that down. Need to go get diesel, fill up mule and my tractor, only half fill the cans, so I can pick them up. LOL Lots to do this week!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What did DS have to give for the tractor?
We need to get a larger tractor. Not a 100 horse but certainly a larger one to pick up the round bales.
$45,000. He has been looking for a long time. Tractors that are 20 years old are priced higher than they were when they were brand new. Inflation works in favor of the seller. This one is 5 years old, it saved about $25,000 over a brand new one. Y’all might be better off to buy a new tractor.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I ran the ewes that I weaned lambs off a little over a week ago, through the chute to take fecal samples day before yesterday. Yesterday I processed them. MUCH BETTER!

It has been a fight, but their worm count is zero for some, low, low numbers for the rest. I threw everything I had at them, plus weaning the lambs, they are gaining weight and looking good even in this short time.

I am greatly encouraged.

Yesterday morning I ran the ewe lambs through and wormed them again. They are not looking good, not terrible, but not good. There will be very few saved from this bunch. Between the worms and coccidia, these poor babies have been hammered. I’m putting Corid in their water to hopefully stave off any new outbreaks. I’m going to get them through the last remnants of this parasite storm, put them out on grass for the summer, then see what I have.

Ram lambs came through this better than the ewe lambs. I have some star performers. Three were registerable, my favorites were twins from Dessa and a triplet from my BTX ewe. @blessedfarmgirl wanted a registered ram and I chose the ram out of the BTX ewe. Her worm numbers have remained at ZERO throughout this parasite storm. Dessa’s numbers spiked but remained in the 2,000 range. That is her normal when lambing. Her score yesterday was zero. I have another man wanting a commercial ram and I am keeping the black and white spotted ram from Butterfly. I was contemplating selling him, but he decided to become my friend. He is calm, shows a lot of sense, confirmation is good, good condition and I’ll see how he grows out.

My plans for the rest of the rams are to castrate a few for the freezer and sell the rest.

Then of all things, the triplet lambs I’m caring for, from the ewe that prolapsed, had dirty butts yesterday. Really? Just really? I dosed them with the horse coccidia medication, a one time treatment, and I’m putting them on a 5 day Corrid treatment plus vitamin B shot, probiotics and water and hay only. Gheesh.

I’ve got some survivors out there with dried up dirty butts. Guess I’ll be sloshing and scrubbing dirty butts, then watching to make sure it doesn’t return.

In the meantime, the 3 breeding groups are healthy, no sign of worms or anything. All together there’s 13 that will be due starting in September. I’ll be taking them out soon.