Baymule’s Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hurricane Beryl came up to Houston to go inland. It’s only a Cat 1, and will downgrade to a tropical storm by the time it gets to me. It’s raining now, was a drizzle when I got up at 7 and went outside to do chores. Sheep and dogs are all hunkered down in their shelters. My area is expecting 5-7 inches of rain. The ground is dry and will absorb much of that.

Channel 13 in Houston lost power and went dark. The eye of the storm is passing through Houston. Last time that happened was Hurricane Ike, but that was a Cat 4 and did lots of damage. I can remember when I was in third grade, a hurricane hitting Houston. The eye of the storm passed over our house and I went outside to play.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
We took a pretty good hit last night. No power of course - I expect it will be measured in days as opposed to hours. It was "only a Cat 1" and it felt like a Cat 3 for a while! I also experienced Ike...yikes!

We didn't get the eye itself, but we got the horriffic winds of the east side of the eye wall. There are shingles all over my yard. I lost a huge chunk of an Ash tree in the back yard. Neighbor's crappy fence between us is down in several places. Trees/large branches down everywhere.

Thank goodness for our storm shelter. So glad we got it. No way I could have gotten DH out of the house in a timely manner in case of any emergency. Storm shelter and big ol' generator - best purchases I ever made!

A few pics on my journal on SS.

Hope it doesn't hit you too hard.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Power still off. How could anyone work outside in this? Some wind gusts shook the house. This would be no place to be in a severe hurricane. Still raining sideways but rain has let up some.

It’s stuffy, can’t open a window unless I want
rain to blow in. I’ve made chicken and rice for the dogs to mix with their kibble. They deserve it. Just need the wind to let up.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I could not post this last night. I got frustrated and turned phone off. Thankfully I can charge phone in my truck.

It’s been an interesting afternoon. Dogs alerted towards the back. I looked out back door. Uh-oh. Middle of the shed blew away. It serves as part of horse pen, but she was contentedly munching hay. I put her in the round pen. Out in the rain and blowing wind, but it was put up horse or she could take off down the driveway or step on some nails the size of railroad spikes.

IMG_6866.jpeg

This was roof

IMG_6867.jpeg

I put the tractor and mule in the shed to keep them safe. Joke is on me!

IMG_6868.jpeg

Came back in, peeled off wet clothes. Looked out front windows. Another uh-oh. The cow panel shelter in the front field went flying and landed across driveway impaled on a T-post

IMG_6871.jpeg

I cut tarps loose, wadded them up and put in back seat of truck, it was handy and they wouldn’t blow away.

IMG_6872.jpeg

The back blew off this cow panel hoop shelter.

IMG_6873.jpeg

The one and only tree by the pens that have cooling shade snapped off. It was an American Persimmon and the sheep lived the fruit that fell in the fall.

IMG_6876.jpeg

Quonset hut flipped over. Ewe lambs were still trying to take shelter in it. Poor babies! I moved them to another pen.

IMG_6877.jpeg

I’ll have to take fence down, pull up some T-posts, turn Quonset hut around and flip back over

IMG_6878.jpeg

I then had to dump water out of feed tubs, feed , hay and try to make animals comfortable. I dragged in, peeled off wet clothes and took a shower. I ate a half rib eye steak leftover from last night. It’s now 7:27. No power. No fan. I think I’ll get a flashlight and read a book. I got a lot of clean up to do tomorrow. It’s stopped raining wind has died down, still gusting a little.

Trees are down all over the place. County wouldn’t come out in the wind and rain so the Rednecks With Chainsaws got started . 7,900 people in my area out of power . Before power went off at 11 this morning, there were 1, 800,000 people in Houston with no power. Roads flooded and idiots drove their cars that thothrough an underpass.
Y’all have a great evening!