Baymule’s Journal

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rain predicted here through next weekend. I’ll have my 2 little granddaughters for the week. Family is coming in Sunday. House is a wreck, got to straighten it up.

Bennett has 3 pigs in the trap this morning. I’ll take these. Will probably have to skin, gut and quarter these myself. Chase is at work, Bennett and Peggy have to take his little brother to the airport.
We are going to have to swap pork one day, I'm curious as to how that tastes on wild boar.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
They were young pigs. One was so small we just left him in there, maybe others will go in. I’ve slaughtered domestic hogs and long time ago, feral hogs.

Bennett built a figure 6 trap with 5 sheep and goat panels. Where the 6 loop goes back on itself, it is a flap against the “tail” of the 6. Hogs can push it open to go in, but it slaps shut. He trails some corn up to the flap and in the trap.

IMG_7111.jpeg

The pig on the left was too small to mess with. The pig on the right was smaller than the first pig he shot.

IMG_7114.jpeg

We hung them from my tractor bucket and got to skinning. Gutted, quartered and put on ice.

IMG_7115.jpeg

IMG_7116.jpeg

The meat on the 200 pound hog yesterday was a dark red. The meat on these two is a dark pink. Ought to be some good meat! Got them soaking in salt water, couple days, then I’ll process. I’ll take all I can get!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I put on my list, BUILD DOOR FOR PORTABLE BUILDING. In January, in a cold rain, almost dark, I was tired and just finished chores and the door fell off. I found a tarp to hang over the open doorway and put it up. I’ve been hating that darn tarp several times a day ever since. FINALLY I built a door—out of scraps of course. I got some 2x4’s from the shed that the hurricane blew apart. The floor to that part of the shed was pallets with scraps of plywood that came from my son’s house over 2 years ago. I recently pulled up the plywood and pallets, a little bit towards taking the rest of the shed apart.

So I made the door frame last week. I ripped 2x4’s and made the frame. The 2x4’s that the previous door was hung on were rotted. The old door was rotted. The screws just came loose.

IMG_7108.jpeg

The floor plate was rotted on the end.

IMG_7109.jpeg

I cut a small piece and screwed to the floor plate, to give the new piece I spliced in, something to screw it to.

I cut a length out of the 2x4 the door was hung on and put a new (used) piece under it and a 2x4 on the backside to hold the 2 pieces together.

IMG_7110.jpeg

I even used a speed square making the door frame, so it’s sorta square. I hung the frame first, because if I made the complete door, it would be too heavy for me to work with.

I needed another set of hands to hold the frame up so I could screw in the hinges!

What Baymule does because she is not an octopus.

IMG_7117.jpeg

IMG_7118.jpeg

My propping up on the ladder and bits of wood worked. I got the frame hung.

IMG_7119.jpeg

Then I measured and cut scraps of plywood that has definitely seen better days. I lapped the pieces over one another.

IMG_7120.jpeg

IMG_7121.jpeg

Door is finished. I took down that annoying tarp. I even found a metal handle and put that on the door. I have a very sophisticated closure and locking mechanism. 😃

IMG_7124.jpeg