Baymule’s Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If I hitch up a trailer, he rides in the truck into the pasture to get it and if I’m not “going” right away, somehow he knows it and jumps out. But if I’m leaving with it and need to run in the house for whatever reason, he refuses to budge. His place is in the back seat.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Each year we would go to the beach camping for a week. They couldn't go in the beach with us and had to stay in camp. After one year when someone kept letting them loose and we had to shut them up in the camper, we got a house sitter and left the dogs at home. The next year they saw the camper and beach equipment and were unhappy. When it was time to pull out, we couldn't find our Weimie bitch, Didi. We hunted everywhere and finally found her hiding on the rear floorboards of the truck. She was determined not to be left behind again!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not to worry, there isn’t anywhere to put a wood heater in here. There are no nooks, no out of the way places to safely install one.
Outdoor wood burner! They are somewhat popular in the northeast, don't know about elsewhere. Of course if one kicks out the money to buy and install it, then they need to buy wood if they don't have any on their property.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you thought about (maybe 2 years from now after the sheep have housing) putting in new trees?

What would/ will you pick?

I know many people are against mulberry trees. But I like them, and like to eat the mulberries. They do grow fast, so of course are short lived....

But maybe 3 short lived fast growing trees to give you some shade and "pretty" and then 3 slow growers for posterity.

I would pick a mulberry, a dogwood, and a redbud for fast trees.

For slow ones.... maybe 3 different kinds of oaks. Whatever oaks do best there.... but if they do well there, I would maybe go with 2 live oak and 1 water oak.

Really can't beat live oaks.

And put in a Texas persimmon up against some fence.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you thought about (maybe 2 years from now after the sheep have housing) putting in new trees?

What would/ will you pick?

I know many people are against mulberry trees. But I like them, and like to eat the mulberries. They do grow fast, so of course are short lived....

But maybe 3 short lived fast growing trees to give you some shade and "pretty" and then 3 slow growers for posterity.

I would pick a mulberry, a dogwood, and a redbud for fast trees.

For slow ones.... maybe 3 different kinds of oaks. Whatever oaks do best there.... but if they do well there, I would maybe go with 2 live oak and 1 water oak.

Really can't beat live oaks.

And put in a Texas persimmon up against some fence.

Did you read my mind? That’s exactly what I have in mind! A neighbor is giving me small redbuds. I’ll have to buy dogwoods. I want a white mulberry so I don’t get purple bird poop on everything. LOL Will probably plant some in the pastures too, enclosed in a fence of course so the sheep don’t eat them.

There is a wild persimmon by the sheep lot, sheep LOVE persimmons! There are 2 big persimmon trees in the front field, when I get that fenced in, sheep will sure enjoy those.

IMG_5131.jpeg

IMG_5132.jpeg

IMG_5134.jpeg

I want to plant a couple of pecan trees for shade on the house and for the nuts.

This house was ringed by old oak trees that died by the time we closed on it. There is one left and I’m sure its days are numbered. If I plant more oaks, they will be live oaks. And Spanish moss! I love gnarled live oaks with Spanish moss hanging down.

The forest next to the house was just clear cut. With no trees around the house and the forest gone, this place looks so bare. Kinda sad.

And fruit trees :D

I will plant fruit trees out in the fields so the sheep can eat the dropped fruit. I’ll pick what I want. I’m thinking apple trees. Stone fruits are not good for sheep, the wilted leaves give off a toxin.

And I love Weeping Willows. I got to have at least one, maybe out by one of the ponds.

I have so many pictures in my mind of what I want to do, and what it will look like. I may never get it all done, but that’s ok. It will keep me busy and I’m happy here.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It STORMED from 3:00 this morning till around 7, then the rain let up. I let the Anatolians out on the field and it just drizzled. Rain gauge said 2 1/2 inches!! Sheep lots are soggy, shelters keep the rain off their backs, but are wet inside. :( I’ll be working on a barn soon, even just a part of one. This will have to be done in sections as I get the money.

Rain started back up, not hard, but enough that I’m not going out to play. LOL I stayed in drinking coffee and on BYH, now it’s raining again. I guess I need to get dressed so I can go out in the next break in the rain.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Storm tore the tarp up last night. I have another one, always keep a spare.

IMG_5140.jpeg

IMG_5141.jpeg

Neighbors are away for a few days. Their dogs have shelter, shade, plenty of water and automatic feeders. I go check on them, for just in case of something happening.

Carson rode with me.

IMG_5146.jpeg

I told him to wait, but he jumped down. The cur cattle dog barked at Carson.

71821389214__09AFF62A-19A1-4A1A-8F1B-6A8F94304DD6.jpeg

Carson! Get back on the mule! Wait. This time he did.

71821390659__CB265B16-3C9D-46D4-B288-46B89FABC37E.jpeg

My bare house, the big tree to the right is the next one to go. It doesn’t throw any shade directly on the house, but is still nice to have. The clear cut to the left-everything is gone. At least it will be easy to put up the fence.

IMG_5149.jpeg

The 2 big American persimmons in the front field.

IMG_5152.jpeg

Ringo’s only registered ram lamb, Ringo 2.0 is peeking out from his dog kennel. Hey! It’s raining! I’m not going out there!

IMG_5153.jpeg