Baymule’s Journal

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh man -- it sure looks bare w/o those trees 🙁. At least they replanted here so it's not bare but looks like a military cemetery but the crosses don't have arms 🤣.
Good boy Carson, ride-a-long dog extraordinaire -- and ohhhh that sad face -- you guilt tripper 😉!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It does look bare, but WOW way easier to put up fence!! :clap That is a plus!

Those persimmon trees you have are HUGE!

I am excited you are getting free redbuds, remember that they are edible....

Also... I got to thinking about edible landscaping, and came across this site again.

So many wonderful things to plant!!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My son got a few days off and came home. He usually takes his ‘89 F250 diesel on jobs because it’s easier on fuel $$$$ than his 2019 F350 King Ranch dually. But he’s kept his dually with him on this job. He is working south of New Orleans and there’s a whole lot of ocean south of New Orleans. It’s hurricane season and the F250 won’t pull his RV trailer. So he wants to be ready to hitch up and run to higher ground. But he’s coming back in 10 days to take classes and tests for one of the crane licenses he holds. No hurricanes threatening, so he left yesterday afternoon with the 1989.

About 5:00 he called, broke down. Was telling me how to take out the 5th wheel hitch and put in the gooseneck hitch. Then hitch up 32’ trailer, drive 4 hours into Louisiana and come get him. I’ve never hitched a gooseneck or pulled a 32’ trailer. I called my sister in law, so did son. LOL She came and brought her young neighbor who operates heavy equipment and is well versed in trailers. We hitched up and left, neighbor driving. Oh, brake lights, turn signals worked, no running lights. So we ram flashers the whole way.

4 hours later, we pulled into the Burger King in Crowley Louisiana. The throttle cable broke and he could only move in 4 WD in low, idle. He had to run down the shoulder on I-10 in idle speed, which ain’t no speed at all, for a couple of miles. The guys loaded the truck, strapped it down. We made like cow plop and hit the trail.

We got home at 3:30 AM this morning.

IMG_5167.jpeg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've never changed a 5th wheel to a gooseneck or vice versa... so.... it was good that your sister in law had this nice young mechanically savvy neighbor.... bless his heart. Not the way you want things to go.... but it sure could have been worse...
Bet you all collapsed when you got home.
Worse things than a throttle cable could have broken too... but D#@%ed inconvenient.... no accidents, no disasters really.... OH WELL, that's life...

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I couldn’t get the fifth wheel hitch out by myself. If I had to do it without help, I would have chained on to it and lifted it out with the tractor front end loader. I got the gooseneck hitch and neighbor put it in. I learned something. Son slept until after 12 noon. We visited and he left at 4. It’s an 8 hour drive.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
After months of killer heat and being strapped down to the farm in order to keep dogs and sheep as cool as possible and putting out fresh water 4 times a day, in 100 to 112 degrees heat and drought, it is 49 degrees this morning!!!!!! It was 68 degrees in the house when I woke up. I went to bed with the AC set on 74.

While son was here, I had him get the propane heater out of the closet and hook it up. Don’t need it yet, but it’s ready when I need it.