~ Betty's Kidding thread ~ SHE IS!

Goatherd

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I can't say for absolute certainty that Betty is not pregnant. What I can suggest is that, regardless of the breed, a normal, pregnant doe is going to display obvious kidding characteristics regardless of the breed.
Betty's vulva looks perfectly normal, not that of a goat about to kid. From that same picture, you would be able to see at least a little bagging of her udder through her legs.
Her body suggests that she is trim and somewhat on the thin side. Not to say she is too thin, but her rumen would stick out more if she was eating a lot of roughage rather than grain. On Betty, it doesn't.

The picture I've posted, even though Olivia is a goat of a different breed than Betty, shows her at less than 12 hours from her delivery. She appears to be huge, but she kidded only twins. You can also see her udder laying beside her rear leg.

Don't despair, it's natural to want what you want, but sometimes we have to wait until the time is right for good things to happen.

P1010060.jpg

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
Goatherd said:
Don't despair, it's natural to want what you want, but sometimes we have to wait until the time is right for good things to happen.
So is she or not ????

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The only way to know for sure if she is pregnant is to get a blood test or just wait and see if she eventually kids. I am NOT AN EXPERT at all but I don't think she looks like she is ready to kid. If she is pregnant I would say it is early on in the pregnancy.

I know Kisses kidded and she didn't show any outward signs of being pregnant, but maybe she was early in her pregnancy too and aborted the fetuses. Maybe Kisses was no where near 5 months pregnant so you never got to see her with a full term belly bulge. Does that make sense?? If they have a full term baby in there, I would think they have to have a bigger belly than what I am seeing in the pictures. Sorry I don't have any "for sure" answers for you, but there is no way of knowing for sure without a pregnancy blood test. :hugs

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I can't see any udder growth in the picture you posted. Can you get one of just the udder? If she is due soon you should see the bag hanging down by now but some don't fill until right before.

Fact is with goats, it is almost impossible to know 100% until the kids are on the ground. I had one who had quads and looked as thin as your Betty does, except for a huge udder. I have also had ones who looked enormous and weren't pregnant.

My best guess is, if she is pregnant she still has a ways to go. But I could be wrong.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Remind us a little about the breeding history?

From what you said? Kisses has kidded before on your farm? And she didn't look very big then? I have never seen a goat kid and not show some of the signs of being pregnant. If anything as goats age, their rumens develop and they may look pregnant with a large rumen and not acutally be pregnant. Bot those does have very small looking rumens for being pregnant. And all though I have seen a couple does kid with very little udder developement, along with lack of rumen size, I would see they aren't very far along or not pregnant at all.

I am sorry. I know you were excited about the kids. :hugs

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
daisychick said:
The only way to know for sure if she is pregnant is to get a blood test or just wait and see if she eventually kids. I am NOT AN EXPERT at all but I don't think she looks like she is ready to kid. If she is pregnant I would say it is early on in the pregnancy.

I know Kisses kidded and she didn't show any outward signs of being pregnant, but maybe she was early in her pregnancy too and aborted the fetuses. Maybe Kisses was no where near 5 months pregnant so you never got to see her with a full term belly bulge. Does that make sense?? If they have a full term baby in there, I would think they have to have a bigger belly than what I am seeing in the pictures. Sorry I don't have any "for sure" answers for you, but there is no way of knowing for sure without a pregnancy blood test. :hugs
Kisses was full term .. Her baby was ready and perfect. I understand what you mean.

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
Remind us a little about the breeding history?

From what you said? Kisses has kidded before on your farm? And she didn't look very big then? I have never seen a goat kid and not show some of the signs of being pregnant. If anything as goats age, their rumens develop and they may look pregnant with a large rumen and not acutally be pregnant. Bot those does have very small looking rumens for being pregnant. And all though I have seen a couple does kid with very little udder developement, along with lack of rumen size, I would see they aren't very far along or not pregnant at all.

I am sorry. I know you were excited about the kids. :hugs
It is o.k. ... Here is some history:
I know most of you are used to big rumens but, I know these will develop when they eat alot of roughage. The breeder might not have given them enough hay and they had to fight for it I'm sure with that HUGE herd of hers. So you might be seeing babies where the rumen is supposed to be ??? Also kisses was full term.
She had a perfect,ready, all done kid. She just did not even look preg. when she was in her 5 mon. Anything I'm missing ??? To tell you the truth ... I know
I'm excited but, its not that. I feel it in my bones she is going to kid.... :hide

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
Another thing ... I see A BUNCH of movement ... Not just your regular goat stomach ... Hers look like their is a firework inside !!!

Latest posts