Buford T. Justice

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
People don’t know what Anatolians are. They never heard of them, know nothing about them. Very seldom do I find anyone that knows . I sometimes make a point to inform people that they have the strongest bite of any breed of dog in the world, at 743 PSI. I especially tell anybody that comes to the farm, followed by, Do not approach the fence, don’t make eye contact and don’t stick your hand through the fence if you are fond of it.

I can take someone in the field and the dogs are ok. I make introductions and people can pet them. They adore children.

I’ve stood at the fence, thinking bad thoughts towards someone and the dogs sense it and don’t like them. There were a couple of guys here last winter, cutting up a massive oak. I told them the warnings, stood at the fence with tense posture and the dogs hated them, especially Sentry. He laid down, close to their truck, (inside the fence) growling every time they went to the truck. I kinda snickered, watching them being careful not to directly look at him. Yeah, I’m bad….. 🤪🤪🤪

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did she really think MY dogs were scared of her little pipsqueaks?
No, but the stupid little yappy dogs have an outsized image of themselves. Don't realize they aren't even worth the effort for a big dog to snack on.

don’t stick your hand through the fence if you are fond of it.
So, if we are not all that fond of our hand, we can stick it in? ;)

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
They do sense when you are nervous of someone, don't like someone, or if the other person has a bad attitude.

Our mini dachshund, Pretzel, weighed about 6-7 lbs. She ruled the Anatolians. They slept on the tile floor, she got their ginormous cushion. They were not sure whether she was actually a dog. LOL

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
No, but the stupid little yappy dogs have an outsized image of themselves. Don't realize they aren't even worth the effort for a big dog to snack on.

So, if we are not all that fond of our hand, we can stick it in? ;)
Yup. Anatolian amputation!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Buford has this game we play in the evenings when I put the dogs in the lot for the night. Sheba and Sentry are happy to go in the sheep night pen, especially now. 2 months of 100+ degrees, has taken its toll. I bring Sheba and Buford to the front yard by 11 or 12 and they go under the porch. Sentry goes to a dog crate in the living room. Late evening I feed all 3 on the porch, then take them back to the field to potty. I usually leave them out for awhile and put them up around 8:00.

I wet down a patch of dirt for the dogs to have a cool place to lay. Sheba and Sentry will go potty, then run to the pen asking to go in. They know that cool earth is waiting on them. Buford plays in the pond, he’s cool and happy to stay out longer.

When I go out to put him up for the night, wherever he is, he hunkers down and will not come to me. As I walk towards him, he flattens out, hoping to escape detection.

Buford hiding his big self behind a pigweed.

IMG_4897.jpeg

I walk closer, he flattens out. That pigweed is not covering up much!

IMG_4898.jpeg

Then I walk up to him. Gotcha!

IMG_4899.jpeg

Then I pet him or rub his tummy and say, “Let’s go!” And he runs to the pen. That dog is hilarious!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
When o let the dogs out in the mornings, Buford is so excited! He shows his gratitude by inappropriately nibbling on me, pinching me with his teeth. I bat his head away, I do my puppy yelp, and I stay close to the fence. I try to calm him down, but Sheba gnaws on his leg, growling, ready to play. That just adds to his excitement. I can get him to sit for a second or two, and I praise him profusely. Sheba doesn’t help with her biting on him, but finally they break away and go run the field.

If I pet Sheba or Sentry, Buford pushes between us, for attention. With a non existent attention span, trying to teach him otherwise has proved fruitless. He’s just now starting to “get it”. I hold his head, look him in the eye and tell him to sit. Then I pet and praise him. That lasts a few seconds, then he’s back to being a goofball. Trying to teach him to wait for his turn. Sheba helps by snarling at him and biting him.

Our daily walks on a leash from the field to the front yard, then back in the evenings is helping his leash manners. He sits for me to put the leash on and for me to take it off. He is always last, as low ranking member of the pack.

He’s coming along!

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
When o let the dogs out in the mornings, Buford is so excited! He shows his gratitude by inappropriately nibbling on me, pinching me with his teeth. I bat his head away, I do my puppy yelp, and I stay close to the fence. I try to calm him down, but Sheba gnaws on his leg, growling, ready to play. That just adds to his excitement. I can get him to sit for a second or two, and I praise him profusely. Sheba doesn’t help with her biting on him, but finally they break away and go run the field.

If I pet Sheba or Sentry, Buford pushes between us, for attention. With a non existent attention span, trying to teach him otherwise has proved fruitless. He’s just now starting to “get it”. I hold his head, look him in the eye and tell him to sit. Then I pet and praise him. That lasts a few seconds, then he’s back to being a goofball. Trying to teach him to wait for his turn. Sheba helps by snarling at him and biting him.

Our daily walks on a leash from the field to the front yard, then back in the evenings is helping his leash manners. He sits for me to put the leash on and for me to take it off. He is always last, as low ranking member of the pack.

He’s coming along!
Good boy goofball Buford! Doing well growing up esp for a puppy boy!