Canesisters 2023 journal - turning my Disasters into Delights

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
She was in a crate Or kennel in the shelter. Make it stronger, she might panic, but has to learn the ropes. You can’t have her going into a panic while you are at work and destroying the house. It’s like having a puppy, only somebody snuck in some birthdays.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
No sure to WOW or SAD that post. I'm with you -- don't use fence wire to make it more difficult. She could really get hurt. Maybe just put her in a room and use the crate to block the door?? Looks to me like a big effort on dog proofing is in order.
Feed her in the crate with the door open - but you already know that trick. Given that she's a rescue she may have crate issues from her previous life.
LOVE the expression on her face on the home - PRICELESS!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, my! Does she behave in crate with you there? Did she bother anything besides the ham ? (Which was where???) Maybe new place scared? What does she do loose in house?

Dang...totally unexpected. Looked so quiet in car!🫣

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I left her 2x in the bedroom. Only about 15/20mins each time - but no damage. Didn't muss up the dirty clothes or the bedding (...as far as I could tell 🙄). No scratches on the door. Was SUPER excited when I came back. I waited a couple mins till she calmed down to acknowledge her.
She got into NOTHING she when she was alone & loose. Didn't even eat the cat food or move their toys.

I think I'm going to make some assumptions until she gives me a reason to think otherwise.
I believe she has a quiet, sweet nature & WILL settle down eventually.
It's only been a few hours away from the shelter. It's very quiet here & of course very strange to her.
She may have had bad experiences in crates. Or maybe spent a LOT of time in one.
IF she makes a mess... she won't be the first dog to do so. My senile old sheltie mix peed all over the oven once!!! Took me the whole evening to drag it out & clean/sanitize all over/under it.
She had shown no interest in the cats. The smallest little one has come near & warily watched, Birdie didn't move. She accidently spooked Chaos earlier who freaked-out & took down a curtain rod. She just went across the room & laid down. AND.... I accidentally locked one of the cats in the bedroom with her!!!! Ella is traumatized but unharmed.

I'm going to try & trust the process... As long as I do everything I can to keep everybody safe, they will work things out soon.
(I can't think of any other option at the moment..)

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
20230626_205530.jpg

This is what she does when she isn't following me around

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Made it through the night. Up several times to go potty.
She seemed genuinely offended that she had to sleep on the rug instead of the bed.. Every time we came back in she would put a foot up on the bed & then give me that boxer pout when I pushed it off and said "no... go lay down". I imagine she's on the bed right now.. watching my TV... enjoying my AC.... (hopefully napping and not digging a hole...)

My mantra today is "She spent 20days in a cage and it hasn't been 24hrs yet since she came home"
Fingers crossed and prayers appreciated that she will settle and remember being somebody's house dog.....

As far as I can tell, my big boy cats haven't left the cat tree in the back room where their litter boxes are. The senior kitty has hid under blankets most of her life. She's the one that got accidently locked in with Birdie yesterday. I only discovered her because Birdie kept booping a lump in the blankets. LOL Anyway, Ella is still hiding under blankets. Marilyn - the teensy little petite girl is curious and keeps peeping and creeping to watch Birdie.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
:fl for her to settle in and be able to feel like she is home and not going to be abandoned again... That may have been the getting out of the crate... she might have had the panic of she was going to be removed from a "HOME" and she panicked.
Are you going to be able to go home at lunch? I think that she would be trying to get out of the yard fence until she gets used to the idea that she isn't going to be abandoned again, so good to not leave her out there alone if you are not home, yet....