cedar shavings

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Can using cedar shavings help to prevent things like lice, fleas, and mites from invading farm stock.
I know keeping them healthy in the first place is a start. I have read that bugs don't care for cedar.
Also has anyone used citrenella type products as a prevention program

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have read that cedar shaving are too strong for most animals. I understand about the bugs, but we don't use them for any of our bedding.

I would google it if I were you, get some more information.

DonnaBelle

julieq

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
After raising quarter horses, which can be allergic to them, we've stayed away from them for our goats all these years. I'm not sure how I'd do with cedar and my asthma at this point either, although I love the smell of it!

Suburbanfarmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We never used them for horses. I was told cedar is toxic if eaten and since most animals will sample the chips we just always stayed away. I'm not sure if the toxicity is accurate, but that was the reason I was given.
That is the reason I've stayed away from them for my goats and chickens also.
-K

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I've used it for horse bedding without problems. Some horses are sensitive and get hives.
Looks like I will just use straw.

CrazyCatNChickenLady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My goats eat cedar as a main part of their diet. Insense cedar. I know the oils can be pretty strong but it definately doesn't bother the goats. If dbf touches it without gloves or long sleeves he gets red bumps wherever it touched. I know its supposed to be bad for chickens as bedding though.. :idunno

NubianNerd

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
In dairy goats most people avoid them (especially if they're showing) because it irritates the udder . At a local county fair, they started getting massive donations of cedar shavings and that was the only bedding they'd provide. So every single dairy goat shower quit going there. Supposedly it can worsen the chances of respiratory infections or aggravate previous ones.

Maybe if you bought cedar oil and placed it strategically around the barn? Or just under the bedding straw? Hard to say.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My goats eat cedar as a main part of their diet. Insense cedar. I know the oils can be pretty strong but it definately doesn't bother the goats. If dbf touches it without gloves or long sleeves he gets red bumps wherever it touched. I know its supposed to be bad for chickens as bedding though.. :idunno

Our goats love them some cedar. They eat it only certain times of the year. We have thickets of 5 ft. High cedars that the goats kid in or just sleep in for the night as this makes an excellent wind break. We have used cedar shavings for bedding for our border collies as well as for bedding for the goats and llamas. The oils from cedar are great bug repellant and lower the flea and tick numbers on our farm. We have never had a problem with lice on our goats.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
We use pine shavings and straw for bedding. Shavings first, they soak up urine great. Then a light layer of straw on top.