Coffee anyone ?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you plant a plot of corn and the deer just start eating it, then you have a full and legal right to shoot them. The corn is planted to benefit the cattle and chickens. We plant corn for harvest for the cattle and cannot keep the DA#@ED deer out of it... as well as the black bears that are starting to tear apart the sorghum fields and the corn.
There are hunters that feed whole shell corn to the deer around here... with the excessive number of white tail deer in this state and the damage they do... You are fully within your rights to shoot deer damaging a planted crop that is for the benefit of your animals...

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
I believe deer won’t jump a double fence if they can’t easily get between the two lines and if they can’t jump both at once. That was people talking about regular tall fences. I wonder if it would work to put up two “fences” of hot wire spaced out the same way. Each one would probably have to have two or three wires to stop them from going under. That would keep out raccoons as well, although you only need one fence, not two, for raccoons.

Or maybe you could do hot wire for the outer fence and some kind of cheap visual barrier with step in posts for the inner fence.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If @canesisters can practically hit the deer in the head out her window where they are in her front/side yard... and she plants corn to maybe add to the cattle feed in the winter, and has her hunting license... that is hardly considered baiting deer....
We just got damage permits to try to cut the deer numbers on the farm...

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here in Virginia that's baiting and isn't allowed.
Only if the corn is planted for the sole purpose of feeding the deer... not if it is planted to primarily feed livestock. If that were the case my garden would be considered baiting deer since the s.o.b.'s won't hardly stay out of it either

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I believe deer won’t jump a double fence if they can’t easily get between the two lines and if they can’t jump both at once. That was people talking about regular tall fences. I wonder if it would work to put up two “fences” of hot wire spaced out the same way. Each one would probably have to have two or three wires to stop them from going under. That would keep out raccoons as well, although you only need one fence, not two, for raccoons.

Or maybe you could do hot wire for the outer fence and some kind of cheap visual barrier with step in posts for the inner fence.
Very true. know of 2 people that have had success with the double fence... 3-4 ft between them...

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee and chocochip cookies almost done. Yesterday was a great day - the wonderful rain gave us soft ground - I got to "refresh" the ranch road with the boxblade on the tractor, harrow the arenas, of and clear our the part of our long drive of mud that washed down from the grove next store with the tractor. Earned ranch girl points from the guys replanting the grove - girl on the tractor :) .
Today - get t-posts in the ground for the the westside ram corral - gotta move fast while the ground is soft!! Oh and of course pull weeds.
Catcha all later. 60-80 today but clear (yesterday clouds kept it cooler, clear will dry the ground fast around here).

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
If @canesisters can practically hit the deer in the head out her window where they are in her front/side yard... and she plants corn to maybe add to the cattle feed in the winter, and has her hunting license... that is hardly considered baiting deer....
We just got damage permits to try to cut the deer numbers on the farm...
Just a few weeks ago I was sitting in the den and all 4 cats came rushing in, scrambled onto the window sill and smooshed their heads against the glass trying to look straight down. Yep.. a doe was scratching against the brick directly under the window. 🤣
I banged on the glass and she LITTERALLY just looked up, flicked her ears and continued on with her grooming! I opened the door - roughly 10' away and she walked off into the woods - I could almost hear her muttering "geeze 'karen' it's not like YOU use this yard for anything... I'm not hurting anything.. get a grip!"