Coffee anyone ?

Mother Hen

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Best-Good-Morning-Friday-Wishes-Images.jpg

All you need (coffee, Tea Bags, Hot Cocoa) is beside the coffee pot which is all set for you for you to brew a cup or glass of Iced Coffee then let's sit on the patio in the 61 FOGGY morning air.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you for the coffee and fixin’s.

@Alaskan is the old family homestead still standing? Was it a dog run house?

There is a small state park about 20 miles from me that has a dog run house. Pretty big one, 3 rooms downstairs with a l sleeping loft upstairs. It was a stage stop and for travelers. My little granddaughters liked it until I pointed out there was no electricity or running water. LOL No cartoons on TV!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you for the coffee and fixin’s.

@Alaskan is the old family homestead still standing? Was it a dog run house?

There is a small state park about 20 miles from me that has a dog run house. Pretty big one, 3 rooms downstairs with a l sleeping loft upstairs. It was a stage stop and for travelers. My little granddaughters liked it until I pointed out there was no electricity or running water. LOL No cartoons on TV!
It was built piecemeal.

So, it started as a 1 room then they added a second room... then they finished it, and it became a dogtrot with just a ladder to get up to the attic/ kids' sleeping space.

So looking at the house, left side, first dining then walk through a space with pantry closet on one side, ladder up on the other, behind that the kitchen. That half was built all as Fachwerk, but then covered over with plaster and siding.

Dogtrot run in the middle, that maybe from the beginning was enclosed, but a door and 2 windows on each end to let breeze go through. What is odd, is in most dogtrots the stairs or ladder is in the dogtrot area. . My grandmother said in this one, the stairs/ladder were never there in the dogtrot. The ladder was always tucked away between the dinning room and kitchen, on the left side.

Right side was big bedroom, then bathroom then little bedroom. Originally of course no bathroom, so maybe just 2 bedrooms.

Yes, it is still standing.

"We" as in my dad, and now myself and sibs, have the one I just described. But that was actually the second homestead built by one of the kids from the original immigrants. Finished in the 1860s.

The original one is owned by cousins, and is next door, still standing and being lived in. It is the same general plan, and it too started as a one room, with the kitchen. But in that one, the kitchen was built with logs, with a second story loft for the girls, ladder on the outside.

The boys stayed in a separate log cabin, no windows, just a door. That log cabin is just ruins.

Anyway... after they built the log kitchen, they then built the rest, same plan as the second homestead, except THEY replaced the outside ladder with a set of stairs inside the dogtrot area.

There is a different set of homestead houses, from a different family line, further west in Texas close to Llano. I only got to see them once, so don't remember the exact layout. But, NOT dogtrot.

However, I know our homestead house, as well as the homestead houses near Llano, have the gutters on the houses, that drain into a filter box, and then into an underground tank. This water was for drinking. Just think...HAND digging a hole big enough for a big drinking water cistern, in parts of Texas that are almost solid rock!!!

The pipes and gutters were made from handmade pottery tiles. I never could figure out what the cisterns are made out of.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The

That is interesting. I will do some research. There were a lot of German pioneers in Texas.
Yep.... I am Seventh generation..

My dad was the first to marry someone who was not Texas-German.

First of my dad's line came over in about 1821 or so. He first settled in what became Houston.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is AMAZING -- what the pioneers endured, accomplished, developed, working by hand with few tools in unforgiving, wild lands. 🤔. It was life or death for them -- find water, grow food, forage food, hay by hand for livestock IF they had any! Hard, hard lives. Just consider no plumbing, electric, stores, cars, gas equipment...for life and not just after a storm! Gardens & chickens were treasured.

So I am very thankful for my electric, coffee and this time-sucking phone in my hand that lets me connect from thousands of miles away!!! :old

Attitude of gratitude.folks. :love

Mother Hen

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
images

All you need is by the coffee pot which is waiting for cups to be brewed and glasses of Iced Coffee to be made.
@peteyfoozer I just watched that video you posted yesterday and my dog Savage was looking around at the other 2 (Sophie and Remie) who are in the house trying to figure out which one of them was crying and whining but Fen sounds like Kozmo and Rudy when they know it's DIN DIN time and they are still outside. I try to do my best to keep them on a routine but doesn't always work especially if FH is in no rush to help yet when he's out of town (or working double shift) I have no one here to help me with them

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
:caf = this is all I did yesterday. 🥴. Nothing. Promised myself I'd not just "hang out" today. Nope. Gotta get some things done. I believe the LIST I made a couple days ago tired me out 🤣

Daylight soon....think I'll fold the list, so it'll be smaller.:hide

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bought more canning jars because I planned to can pie apples and applesauce. My tree really has the best apples I ever tasted. Sweet but tart, juicy and crunchy… I was so excited because it had lots of apples this year…I got my basket and went out to find Mister stealing them off of my tree!! He got everything within reach. :th:barnie
It’s not enough that my dog steals raspberries…