Coffee anyone ?

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Morning all. Eating breakfast finally got up at 6 lol the kids didn't stir till about seven they generally will not eat until a hour or two after waking up so I don't like cooking before the wake lol. My almost two years old seems to think breakfast tacos are good enough to dance to lol. Going to start school shortly after breakfast. No walk today as three year old fell off a bench yesterday and got a black eye and possibly a mild concussion as she threw up a few times last night. Thinking about making sugar cookies with the kids and decorating them for fall. Trying to plan a game night and other fun things. Dh will be off this weekend so need to do something fun while he home lol. My oldest has been extremely helpful she such a sweet girl. My seven and five year old boys have been very rambunctious. And of course it's raining lol good thing I don't keep breakables lol. Baby girl is doing well she already babbling and smiling at everyone lol she also already has a double chin she going to get chunky fast lol. The rain has the kids all excited lol.

Skiesblue

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gonna storm tonight, Sophie needs to caterwaul louder!
Well it worked. We got nearly four inches of rain. And a sinkhole starting in our road over a culvert. We can get around it but I’ve got to mark it since people are coming tomorrow. Could be trouble for the propane truck too. The water must have really ripped through there, whew. 😱

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well it worked. We got nearly four inches of rain. And a sinkhole starting in our road over a culvert. We can get around it but I’ve got to mark it since people are coming tomorrow. Could be trouble for the propane truck too. The water must have really ripped through there, whew. 😱

When it all comes down at once, it does a bang up job of washing out roads. That’s one of the reasons not to drive through water. At least you still have half of your road.

Skiesblue

Herd Master
Reaction score
While I was checking fences I found a beauty berry bush. It was near where the walnut tree is. Then I found some sizable chunks of concrete, a bulldozed foundation? I wonder if there was a home site there? What did they do for water? There is a spring but it’s several hundred feet away and the terrain is not friendly. Not impossible but I wouldn’t want to lug that water. Years ago maybe it was different. I’m still discovering a lot of things around the place - knees. Back to beauty berries :p will they start from seeds?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, they will. Or rooted cuttings. Look around birds eat berries and spread seeds.... So, nearby and along fence lines you'll probably find some sprouted. Leaves are good bug deterrent! They're really pretty when those clumps all turn that beautiful purple.

I made a small batch of jelly one year. Lovely pink but, not real flavorful. Closest I can come to describe is mild maraschino cherry. 🤷

This winter I'm making some bug repellant -- leaves are drying now, in my house.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've not seen anything like them 😊. Very pretty.

story_main.jpg

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
While I was checking fences I found a beauty berry bush. It was near where the walnut tree is. Then I found some sizable chunks of concrete, a bulldozed foundation? I wonder if there was a home site there? What did they do for water? There is a spring but it’s several hundred feet away and the terrain is not friendly. Not impossible but I wouldn’t want to lug that water. Years ago maybe it was different. I’m still discovering a lot of things around the place - knees. Back to beauty berries :p will they start from seeds?
The old family homesite, built back in about 1850 in Texas was built a bit of a hike away from the nearest tiny spring.

I asked once why, the family said it was to make sure that they never had to worry about flooding.

And the spring is a tiny, tiny, tiny trickle.

They did later on... 1880??? Put in a well right at the house.

Also...on most homesites built by Germans (not sure about other groups) they put in gutters on the house and barn that drained the gutters into a box for filtering, and then into an underground tank. And this was back in 1840s etc.

Actually, all the old German homesites I know of are a hike from water.

Skiesblue

Herd Master
Reaction score
The
The old family homesite, built back in about 1850 in Texas was built a bit of a hike away from the nearest tiny spring.

I asked once why, the family said it was to make sure that they never had to worry about flooding.

And the spring is a tiny, tiny, tiny trickle.

They did later on... 1880??? Put in a well right at the house.

Also...on most homesites built by Germans (not sure about other groups) they put in gutters on the house and barn that drained the gutters into a box for filtering, and then into an underground tank. And this was back in 1840s etc.

Actually, all the old German homesites I know of are a hike from water.
That is interesting. I will do some research. There were a lot of German pioneers in Texas.