coyote

woodsie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
dhansen said:
I have LOTS of coyotes, mountain lions and an occasional bear wanting to come eat my goats. They still run outside the fencing sometimes, but don't ever venture in because my LDG would rip them apart. We even have week old babies out in the field with no worries.
YUP a couple LGDs are the best most reliable predator deterrent...the coyotes may be around but your livestock will be safe!

RJSchaefer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
SkyWarrior said:
RJSchaefer said:
More ammo. We're overrun with coyotes here. Nothing discourages them but a well placed round. They charged right at us one night when we were out with our chickens. A few rounds out of my boyfriend's .22 mag got them to scatter, but they come back.

If you're going through a predator food shortage like we are (the reason they've become so bold), I'd be worried about using a guard animal.
Wow. Nasty. Where do you live? :/
A bit east of Rockford, IL. The area is going through some major ecological issues, between the drought last year, over-farming and "infrastructure" development. I expect things to get better by this fall - when the over-populated predators have starved off - but for now, they're just brazen and desperate.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
RJSchaefer said:
SkyWarrior said:
RJSchaefer said:
More ammo. We're overrun with coyotes here. Nothing discourages them but a well placed round. They charged right at us one night when we were out with our chickens. A few rounds out of my boyfriend's .22 mag got them to scatter, but they come back.

If you're going through a predator food shortage like we are (the reason they've become so bold), I'd be worried about using a guard animal.
Wow. Nasty. Where do you live? :/
A bit east of Rockford, IL. The area is going through some major ecological issues, between the drought last year, over-farming and "infrastructure" development. I expect things to get better by this fall - when the over-populated predators have starved off - but for now, they're just brazen and desperate.
I'm in western Montana where we have to deal with coyotes, wolves, lynx, bobcats, mountain lions, black and grizzly bears. The above reason is why Montanans' trap and hunt. It's cruel to have animals starve to death. Bullets are much kinder. But alas, you are in the worst state for gun control.

RJSchaefer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Indeed. When my boyfriend and I first got together, he told me (at the time a very suburban girl working in Chicago) how he hunted coyotes. I was appalled to learn he did it because there were "too many." Now, I see what he meant.

Sidenote: Coyotes are one of a handful of animals in Illinois that you are allowed to hunt with any weapon, any time of the year, and not report.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
RJSchaefer said:
Indeed. When my boyfriend and I first got together, he told me (at the time a very suburban girl working in Chicago) how he hunted coyotes. I was appalled to learn he did it because there were "too many." Now, I see what he meant.

Sidenote: Coyotes are one of a handful of animals in Illinois that you are allowed to hunt with any weapon, any time of the year, and not report.
Same in NC, no limits, no restrictions.

FarmScapeGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
RJSchaefer said:

Can't hunt a coyote with a rifle in Lake County, cause it sucks here. I'm East of you on the Lake County McHenry County border. With the drought last year, and the flooding this year in the Fox Valley..... OMG! It's going to get worse before it gets better. Last year, the husband shot a deer, and as it was bounding away, here comes a coyote chasing the kill, almost like it was waiting for him to take the shot. Plus, on the back end of my land, there's a pack of coy dogs that like to terrorize my horses and stalk me when I walk at night. I normally just carry a machete with me, as a just incase to make the husband feel better. Now he's urging me to carry the .38 or, I don't get to take my midnight walks.

Here's from this years DNR:
Coyotes can be hunted 24 hours a day
from 1/2 hour before sunrise on Nov.10
through midnight on Feb. 15. During the
rest of the year, hunting hours for coyotes are 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2
hour after sunset.
(Of course this doesn't apply to protecting your own land)