Disbudding goats - How'd I do?

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
helmstead said:
Well, now that I've seen the sister to this thread over on Sufficient Self...I'm not terribly motivated to be of any further assistance. Quite rude. So...you ask our opinions here, and then run over to another board and make fun of us? Nice.

I have never said the method I employ is the only way to disbud, but it does work - and well. I am done with this subject.
I never once made fun of anyone specifically and if you took it personal, I apologize. I mentioned it already, we made light of a tense situation. If that offends you, I'm not sure what to say.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
helmstead said:
So...you ask our opinions here, and then run over to another board and make fun of us?
Got a mouse in yer pocket?

:lol:

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
I guess you did alright.... personally, we prefer our goats with horns, it makes it easier to lead them... and my stomach usually isn't queasy... but something about burning the bloody horn makes my stomach all swishy swashy. :sick Just bring myself to do it.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
helmstead said:
So...you ask our opinions here, and then run over to another board and make fun of us?
Got a mouse in yer pocket?

:lol:
I disbud the same way as Kate, so maybe by "us" she meant herself and other producers who "massacre heads" and whatnot. Like us. ;)

Lady Jane

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Like glenolam, I just disbudded my first kids a few weeks ago. If the job was not done properly enough when would I be able to tell? And as glen asked, would it be too late by now to heat up the burner again? :)

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
:hide I come carefully with advice...

If they're going to grow scurs...it will be noticeable between 3 and 6 months of age.

You should wait at least 9 weeks before reburning, if they need reburned.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
helmstead said:

If they're going to grow scurs...it will be noticeable between 3 and 6 months of age.

agreed :thumbsup

Lady Jane

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you helmstead. That advice sounds great to me and is very much appreciated.
thankyou.gif

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
helmstead said:
No need to hide or come carefully - I prefer full force. :p :D

Glad to get that info, too. My girls' buds are starting to "chip" off aorund the edges and it looks like the buds will soon fall off. I was wondering when is the time to really investigate.

BTW, Livinwright - it's really not THAT bloody IMO. Granted I've only done a few but all that I've seen in addition to done weren't bloody at all. Maybe a little bit here and there, but a touch of the iron where the blood was stopped that right up.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
glenolam~
Two things made me decide not to disbud my herd:
google-ing images for disbudding
and the fact that my 3yr old does have horns.
I don't want any defenseless kids with these two, or anywhere near my bucklings.. I swear Marly was born butting heads!