ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
elevan said:
I've got about 40 hens and right now I'm getting at least 10 eggs daily from chickens + 1 guinea egg. I don't do anything to increase production in the winter (like lights or heat)...but I decided to give pepper a try today (added to their feed), we'll see what happens.

The news is calling for winter like temps next week. But we've gone on a cycle of a week of cold temps then back up to the 40s for a couple of weeks all season.
Pepper, what does pepper do I have not heard this
free-animal-smileys-656.gif

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
autumnprairie said:
elevan said:
I've got about 40 hens and right now I'm getting at least 10 eggs daily from chickens + 1 guinea egg. I don't do anything to increase production in the winter (like lights or heat)...but I decided to give pepper a try today (added to their feed), we'll see what happens.

The news is calling for winter like temps next week. But we've gone on a cycle of a week of cold temps then back up to the 40s for a couple of weeks all season.
http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-animal-smileys-656.gif
I read a thread on BYC last week where members were adding pepper to their chicken feed during winter and increasing egg production. Someone heard it from an old timer and several tried it and attested to it's worth. No idea why it works but I figured it couldn't hurt to try.

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
elevan said:
autumnprairie said:
elevan said:

http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-animal-smileys-656.gif
I read a thread on BYC last week where members were adding pepper to their chicken feed during winter and increasing egg production. Someone heard it from an old timer and several tried it and attested to it's worth. No idea why it works but I figured it couldn't hurt to try.
keep us posted

country farm girl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sunny & the 5 egg layers said:
elevan said:
Sunny & the 5 egg layers said:
Your chickens are still laying? Lucky! My girls are on strike!
We've been having really weird weather here and then BAM! they started laying. I'm quickly becoming overrun with eggs :hide

DH just told me that I could get up in the mornings and make him some eggs for breakfast....he gets up at 2:30am - that is not gonna happen :lol:
So have we, I live in Massachusetts and it has been very warm lately. We only got one snowstorm so far and it was in October. I have 6 hens and we used to get about 4 or 5 eggs a day-- sometimes 6. But lately we are only getting one, sometimes two if we are lucky. Have your chickens gone through a molt yet this year? This is my hens' first winter. Some of them are molting (only about 2 or 3). Then we have this one hen who pretty much never lays an egg and when she does the whole state of MA knows it! She sure is a screamer that one! :rolleyes:

:lol: That is funny about your husband. I can not blame you regarding waking up at 2:30 in the morning to cook eggs. Wouldn't happen here either!
:lol: Then we have this one hen who pretty much never lays an egg and when she does the whole state of MA knows it! She sure is a screamer that one! :lol: I know what you mean. when I was clening out the barn, I had a splash cochin scream her head off, so I came running in the barn to see what was wrone with her and she was standing outside the nest box screaming her head off like that is what came out of me?!?!?!:th :ep Is your chicken hen a small one? cus they sure know how get your blood going :lol: :lol:

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
elevan said:
CRAZY!!!!

Have y'all been over to check out the new BYC yet?
I have and boy is it AWESOME! I can't wait till it starts over here! Does that mean we all have to move to BYC like every one did when
BYC changed?? :gig Its good though! Hey elevan, are you a mod on BYC???

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
SmallFarmGirl said:
elevan said:
CRAZY!!!!

I have and boy is it AWESOME! I can't wait till it starts over here! Does that mean we all have to move to BYC like every one did when
Yeah, I'm a mod on BYC, BYH and SS.

We should definitely invade BYC when our time comes :lol:

It is awesome but with so many peeps asking the same questions over and over it's tiring. Gonna go take a nap now ;)

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
elevan said:
SmallFarmGirl said:
elevan said:
CRAZY!!!!

We should definitely invade BYC when our time comes :lol:
:yuckyuck

Sunny & the 5 egg layers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Em, I hope you don't mind this short hijack of your journal. I appoligize. :hugs

country farm girl said:
:lol: Then we have this one hen who pretty much never lays an egg and when she does the whole state of MA knows it! She sure is a screamer that one! :lol: I know what you mean. when I was clening out the barn, I had a splash cochin scream her head off, so I came running in the barn to see what was wrone with her and she was standing outside the nest box screaming her head off like that is what came out of me?!?!?!:th :ep Is your chicken hen a small one? cus they sure know how get your blood going :lol: :lol:
:lol: They sure can be funny. No actually my hen is not small. She is quite large. I believe she may be a jersey giant as she is the same size as my dark brahmas.
This is the best picture I have of her at the moment.
4400_ll.jpg

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
We're expecting some winter like weather this afternoon.

Finally got ahold of my hay guy and he'll be here Sunday. Now I just have to figure out how to unload a 900# round bale of hay when the bobcat that I normally would borrow is in NC.

Boingo is up to 8 units of insulin 2x daily and is feeling pretty frisky. I love to see him prancing around again. Now if we can get him back to his B500 standards...

Daisy and the twins have lice :sick The bane of winter with goats.

DH has been working overtime. Which is good for now...good paycheck. But at the end of the month they're switching him to salary. I keep reminding him that when you're salary the more hours you put in the less hourly time you make. It's rough because they put him into a store that is really short staffed. He has to find an assistant manager at the very least.