ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

Sunny & the 5 egg layers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
elevan said:
Negative urine glucose today for Boingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:weee

And we have snow! snow! snow! But the ground underneath isn't frozen :(

And I have more eggs than I can deal with. Gonna make a run to family members and gift some to those less fortunate.
Do you have a rooster in your flock? If so do you sell fertile eggs? :pop

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
But his blood glucose jumped to 370 this evening. And I had a horrible time getting blood from him. The lancet just wasn't doing the job. I finally had to grab a syringe needle and just poke him :(

I know we'll have ups and downs but I'm impatient on some things :p

We took some eggs to my Grandma Emily and one of my aunts. My aunt sent me home with a bag of dates -yum!

Sunny - I have about 40 hens 3 mature roosters and 7 youngsters (about half of which are roos). I do sell fertile eggs for eating. I've never sold for hatching as my flock is mixed. I've got several different types of hens but my roos are Buff Brahma and Salmon Faverolle with the Buff Brahmas doing most of the breeding. Handsome boys and they know to stay out of my way ;)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Hay got delivered earlier and we just rolled the round bale off the truck and over the fence.

The horses of course were right there to take the first bites.

The steer stayed in the barn most of the day. It wasn't until even that I was able to lure him to the great big bale of hay. Really funny story and I wish I'd had video of it.

T-Bone wouldn't come out of the barn, so I started jumping up and down and then ran away from the barn. He started bouncing and ran by me. We continued this game through most of the field until he finally spotted the bale. That moment was priceless. Suddenly this bucking, kicking and hopping calf stopped dead. His eyes got huge and his ears pitched forward. A look of ecstasy came on his face and he charged headfirst at the bale. To run into it and start munching.

I about died laughing at that crazy calf.

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
elevan said:
Hay got delivered earlier and we just rolled the round bale off the truck and over the fence.

The horses of course were right there to take the first bites.

The steer stayed in the barn most of the day. It wasn't until even that I was able to lure him to the great big bale of hay. Really funny story and I wish I'd had video of it.

T-Bone wouldn't come out of the barn, so I started jumping up and down and then ran away from the barn. He started bouncing and ran by me. We continued this game through most of the field until he finally spotted the bale. That moment was priceless. Suddenly this bucking, kicking and hopping calf stopped dead. His eyes got huge and his ears pitched forward. A look of ecstasy came on his face and he charged headfirst at the bale. To run into it and start munching.

I about died laughing at that crazy calf.
Thank you for the visual. :lol:

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
BTW, EleVan, how are your baby goats doing? I know you have had so much on your plate, but just curious. Hoping they are doing well and growing big.

And Ms. Flutterbottom's chicks? Hope they are doing well. I read that your chickens are really producing those eggs. Glad to hear.

K

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
BTW, EleVan, how are your baby goats doing? I know you have had so much on your plate, but just curious. Hoping they are doing well and growing big.

And Ms. Flutterbottom's chicks? Hope they are doing well. I read that your chickens are really producing those eggs. Glad to hear.

K
Daisy's twins are doing great! Addicted to alfalfa pellets (the little snots) :lol:

We still have 6 of Miss Flufferbottom's chicks. 4 are roos :( So they will be going to the freezer when they're big enough. The 2 pullets aren't very human friendly but that's ok...I've already got one hen who jumps on my shoulder every chance she gets :p

We got 14 eggs just this morning! :th Think I'll make a savory Dutch Baby for dinner. I probably need to experiment with souffles too.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
elevan said:
Ms. Research said:

K
Daisy's twins are doing great! Addicted to alfalfa pellets (the little snots) :lol:

We still have 6 of Miss Flufferbottom's chicks. 4 are roos :( So they will be going to the freezer when they're big enough. The 2 pullets aren't very human friendly but that's ok...I've already got one hen who jumps on my shoulder every chance she gets :p

We got 14 eggs just this morning! :th Think I'll make a savory Dutch Baby for dinner. I probably need to experiment with souffles too.
Thanks for the update. So glad Daisy's twins are doing great.

Glad to hear about Miss Flufferbottoms chicks. Sorry so many roos but chicken ARE yummy. Truly glad to hear one of your hens have picked up Miss Flutterbottom's habit. I know chickens are chickens, but it's nice to have one that is sociable. I still think of your "chicken dog". Never have I heard of a chicken being so social. It's nice that this tradition has been taken up by another. Shows chickens have feelings too, and are just not there for eggs and meat.

Good luck with your food experiments. Love souffles.

K

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
elevan said:
Ms. Research said:

K

Thanks for the update. So glad Daisy's twins are doing great.

Glad to hear about Miss Flufferbottoms chicks. Sorry so many roos but chicken ARE yummy. Truly glad to hear one of your hens have picked up Miss Flutterbottom's habit. I know chickens are chickens, but it's nice to have one that is sociable. I still think of your "chicken dog". Never have I heard of a chicken being so social. It's nice that this tradition has been taken up by another. Shows chickens have feelings too, and are just not there for eggs and meat.

Good luck with your food experiments. Love souffles.

K
My chickens all have personalities too! I have one that used to jump on my back, but since she was almost always dirty, I discouraged that behavior. I also have one that is shy and reserved but when you hold her and put her on your lap she will just fall asleep.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I would definitely discourage too if I wasn't always wearing coveralls in the barnyard. But since I do, then allow a little muddy cuddling.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
MMMM, visions of dutch babies. Fresh souffle with spankin fresh feta cheese and garlic folded in. Thoughts of devil'd eggs (with maybe a touch of wasabi added.) (It's good, try it.) I'd give my eye teeth for some farm fresh eggs about now...