ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
When were her kids taken off of her? Or was she milked?

eta: Lilly is 8 months post kid. Dam raised her kid. We haven't milked her. And her udder is half that size.
Daisy is 4 months post kid. Dam raised her kids and we haven't milked her regularly. Her udder is approximately that size right now. It was bigger immediately post freshening.

**At 10 months post kid, if she dam raised...she shouldn't be that big. If she was milked then she's doing very well....continue to milk her for a couple more months ;)

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
elevan said:
When were her kids taken off of her? Or was she milked?

eta: Lilly is 8 months post kid. Dam raised her kid. We haven't milked her. And her udder is half that size.
Daisy is 4 months post kid. Dam raised her kids and we haven't milked her regularly. Her udder is approximately that size right now. It was bigger immediately post freshening.

**At 10 months post kid, if she dam raised...she shouldn't be that big. If she was milked then she's doing very well....continue to milk her for a couple more months ;)
She dam raised all 3 of her triplets, and was not milked by her breeders/owners... at least they said that they hadn't been milking her.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Kind of odd that she'd have that much of an udder after 10 months when she dam raised and wasn't milked...

I've heard of kids trying to nurse at 9 months (very rare...usually they'll start kicking them away after 4 months tops...6 months latest), so I suppose if they were still nursing she would have kept the milk up...

She'll likely have a good size udder with her next freshening. Teats look small but it's kind of hard to tell with the picture. I would milk her for the next 2 months (if you can get that long out of her) before drying her up for the next kidding. If you can get a 12 month lactation out of a pygmy, you've got a "keeper" in my opinion :D

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
elevan said:
Dreaming Of Goats said:
I am going to LOVE this thread :) I still remember when Daisy kidded to Miss Diva and Kingston I was SOOOOOO excited... remember me? LOL I was chanting her on everyday hahahaha
Haven't seen you post in a while :)

Welcome aboard!
Yea, I've kind of gotten involved with the end of the school year (Lots of large projects), hanging out with friends a lot, but now that it's almost summer, I can be on quite a bit :)

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
elevan said:
Kind of odd that she'd have that much of an udder after 10 months when she dam raised and wasn't milked...

I've heard of kids trying to nurse at 9 months (very rare...usually they'll start kicking them away after 4 months tops...6 months latest), so I suppose if they were still nursing she would have kept the milk up...

She'll likely have a good size udder with her next freshening. Teats look small but it's kind of hard to tell with the picture. I would milk her for the next 2 months (if you can get that long out of her) before drying her up for the next kidding. If you can get a 12 month lactation out of a pygmy, you've got a "keeper" in my opinion :D
I believe the woman said the kids were taken at around 8 weeks... I will have to ask the woman who took the kids, to know for sure.

The picture is deceptive... I sent you a picture in a message on FB. I reached my uploading capacity here... :/

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:
elevan said:

I believe the woman said the kids were taken at around 8 weeks... I will have to ask the woman who took the kids, to know for sure.

The picture is deceptive... I sent you a picture in a message on FB. I reached my uploading capacity here... :/
Ok, I see what you mean...it's not as big as it appears in the other shot. It's still quite a bit bigger than I would expect when she had her kids pulled at 8 wks, with no milking and it's now 10 months past kidding.

I still say milk her for another 2 months, unless you want to dry her off completely ;)

eta: pygmies will dry off pretty quickly on their own (about 2 months) after their kids are pulled...

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Dreaming Of Goats said:
elevan said:
Dreaming Of Goats said:
I am going to LOVE this thread :) I still remember when Daisy kidded to Miss Diva and Kingston I was SOOOOOO excited... remember me? LOL I was chanting her on everyday hahahaha
Haven't seen you post in a while :)

Welcome aboard!
Yea, I've kind of gotten involved with the end of the school year (Lots of large projects), hanging out with friends a lot, but now that it's almost summer, I can be on quite a bit :)
Well...welcome back then! :D

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
That darn, sneaky, little, broody hen - Cinnamon!!

We opened the coop to check on her a little while ago to find one of our other hens ON TOP of her laying an egg.

Now, we haven't been getting any eggs from a couple of hens that lay white eggs in the past week - very unusual... So I moved the hen that was on top and put her in a different box and checked under Cinnamon - 4 white eggs (she only received 1 fertile white egg).

I went to check after Lucky left the coop and there was not an egg in the other box...lifted Cinnamon again and now she has 5 WHITE EGGS!!! :duc The little egg stealer!!!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
So much work to do:

I don't think that we're going to get the big coop done in time...I just can't do it myself and it's been a rough time for me lately. My DH is working odd hours, sometimes all 3 shifts in one week! So plan B is to put the chicks in a temporary pen in the garage until the coop can be finished. They are due to arrive next week.

I've been thinking about the turkeys permanent home too...we have an old coop that has sat empty since the mink slaughter. It would need fortified...but it would probably work. I've thought about turning it into so many things (not to house animals) because I just couldn't bear to put any in there. It's time to let the bad memories go and move on. So I think with some fortification it will become the turkey's new home.

The ducks are gonna need a winter shelter...we've got some time to think on that one. They are 100% free range during the time the pond is not iced and I won't change that...they live pretty wild. But I want them to have protection in winter.

The buck's barn needs some finish work and we're gonna give them a bigger pasture.

The main goat barn needs reconfigured. I just don't like the flow of it...we'll see I've got to think some more on that one.

And I need a lean to for the calf. Right now he's using the llama's stall. And the llama is none to pleased with the situation.

I wish I could just give the horses away. I'll make no bones about the fact that they are pains in the rear.

I keep looking at the pot belly pig and seeing dinner...she's my mom's pet though...but she makes me drool :lol:

``````````````````````````````````````````````

I know exactly what type of chicks are coming except for 25 of them. I ordered a fancy feathered flock variety pack and if certain breeds show up in there, I plan to sell them. So we'll see what they turn out to be. I really want a gold crested polish...I miss my Redder Fredder :(

````````````````````````````````````````````````

That's enough rambling for today :)

Latest posts