ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
What type of cow do you have? I'm leasing a red and white holstein bull calf.... He's adorable but he'll be dinner after the fair im showing him at...

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Dreaming Of Goats said:
What type of cow do you have? I'm leasing a red and white holstein bull calf.... He's adorable but he'll be dinner after the fair im showing him at...
He is a jersey / red angus x.

My DH likes to say that the calf is trying to make us into vegetarians...but he'll be dinner when he grows out. We plan on grass raising / finishing him...so it'll be a slower process but worth it :D

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I am truly surprised at the sweetness of turkeys. I've always eaten them but never raised them before. At first they were scared of us but that wore off very quickly. We take them everyday from their quarantine pen in the garage to their exercise pen in the front yard. They come right to us now to leave their pen and "joyfully" talk to us :D Turkeys will definitely become a regular part of our farm!

Gave the calf his booster vaccinations today. He thought my son poked him and turn and gave him the dirtiest look a calf can give while slinging my son with milk from the bucket :lol: I, of course, thought this was funny so when I went to give the second shot I told my boy to switch sides with me. Calf did the same thing :gig

I suspect that our broody hen has added at least another egg to her clutch today. I didn't lift her to check but I know that Lucky went into the coop to lay an egg and there is not one to be found for her. I can only imagine how many eggs will be under that hen by the time she's done.

Speaking of chickens, our MASSIVE CHICKEN OVERLOAD arrives this week! We've decided to go with plan B and brood them in the garage giving us more time to finish the big coop. I'm so excited. I love our chickens, which I guess is why I decided to go overboard with getting more :) I didn't expect a hen to go broody though and add to the mix. What a bonus if Cinnamon is able to hatch out all 8 chicken eggs (plus the 4 duck eggs which were in an incubator for a week first).

Cinnamon's eggs that she is setting could be an interesting bunch. The hens the eggs came from are a mixed bunch. There are 2 roosters, a silkie and a mixed roo. Hens are polish, cochin, lakenvelder, brahma and barred rock.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Went out this morning to find Lilly in RAGING HEAT :) Time for a match.

We decided to pair Lilly up with Snickers (a first time breeder). Unfortunately Snickers did the deed twice and was done. They were both done as a matter of fact. We know that both times were good contacts, but I'm concerned that he only wanted to do it twice. If she doesn't take we'll try him next month with her. If not then, we'll try him with another doe. He's young, 7 months.

Here's the match up:

Snickers.jpg

Lilly:
2607_lilly.jpg

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I <3 Snickers!!!!!!! (That name is partial to me since my goats kid (RIP) was named Snickers too...........

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I named him Snickers because he reminded me of the candy bar...colors: caramel, nougat, chocolate AND he's super sweet :lol:

I was really sorry to hear about your doeling DoG :(

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm sorry about it too..... The name fitted her perfectly because she was brown and he mom's full name is Almond Joy, and her grandmother Lil' Debbie :lol: The goats at the farm have ggreat names, LOL

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
It only takes one time for the girls to get pregnant. ;) I know we like to see a certain amount of breedings but honestly, it doesn't have to happen that way. I have had pregnancies result from some of the stupidest breedings with alpacas that I would have sworn shouldn't have taken.

I would love to get turkeys someday. I will probably only get the broad breasted so that they are gone in the winter. But all that has to wait until the alpacas are gone. I have no room to put any other animals.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Oh, I know it only takes one time. It's just that since it's his first breeding I wanted to see a little more from him. I couldn't leave them together, so we'll have to wait and see if she comes back into heat next month.

He was so unlike Speedy who is a voracious breeder :/

Snowhunter

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You should get some purty bebies in 5 months Emily!! :fl

As for dirty calf looks... :lol: :gig Sounds like he was NOT amused with yall in the least :gig

Latest posts