ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Snowhunter said:
As for dirty calf looks... :lol: :gig Sounds like he was NOT amused with yall in the least :gig
The best part was he thought my son did it!! :lol:

But he's not going to be happy with me in a few days...I'll be banding him ;)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
We definitely decided that we're gonna make the old coop into our turkey roost. Problem we faced before beginning is that there are weeds (primarily giant ragweed) in the run that are as tall as me! So we decided today to put the bucks in the run to clean it up :D They were pleased as can be and are happily feasting. I figure by tomorrow they will have done a better job that any weed wacker could have done.

It's been a rainy day here so not a lot of work is getting done...hence the idea of sending the goats in to work ;) It's not like we need any more rain, we still haven't completely dried out from the wet spring weather.

I've been working on my writing today. The cook book is progressing and I'm already getting inquiries from friends and family who want to buy it when it's done...boy that makes me feel great! But of course they've all had the food and have begged for recipes before (which I held out on) ;)
The early readers are done and have been declared a success by my boys and my nephews...they haven't been published yet...but since I'm self publishing it's just a matter of me getting it done.

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sounds good!!!! Please show pictures when your done with the coop!!!!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
We've been having a problem with missing eggs lately. We've got one broody so we know she's not laying, obviously. Our Silver Lakenvelder is laying with the broody and the broody is stealing the eggs so we know where those are but can't use them. Our RIR's eggs are not being found, yet. And we've suspected for a while that the Hamburg hen has been laying somewhere in the hay / feed room.

Well we found the Hamburg's nest today! Susie disappeared as soon as I opened the coop. I looked all over the barn including the hay room but couldn't find her. I was searching the goat's area when I heard her clucking...followed the sound and found her sitting on a nest of at least a dozen eggs in an area of the hay room that I couldn't get to (too small of a space).

Got my youngest boy and lifted him into the spot and he started handing out the eggs.

Here they are - 2 dozen eggs!
30596e80.jpg

They'll be cleaned and boiled and fed to the pig and dogs *sigh*

Now we just need to find the RIR's hidey hole.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
:ep :gig :lol: Oh my word! what was she trying to save them for? Christmas?!? :lol: Wow! Our hens that "escape" the fenced area are not so secretive of where they lay. It is 1 of 2 places: 1) behind our old snowblower right up next to the foundtion for our house... or 2) in the base of the brush pile.

Now, if only we could get them all laying again... and seperate the girls that are evil(ones that deliberately seek out hens that are laying, and immediately start pecking the newly laid egg :/ :rolleyes:)

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:
:ep :gig :lol: Oh my word! what was she trying to save them for? Christmas?!? :lol: Wow! Our hens that "escape" the fenced area are not so secretive of where they lay. It is 1 of 2 places: 1) behind our old snowblower right up next to the foundtion for our house... or 2) in the base of the brush pile.

Now, if only we could get them all laying again... and seperate the girls that are evil(ones that deliberately seek out hens that are laying, and immediately start pecking the newly laid egg :/ :rolleyes:)
Put some golf balls in the egg boxes, it really did help stop my egg eatters.

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Wow that is alot of eggs. I just found your journal. I read the whole 6 pages. I loved it. Wow you stay busy. Where do you find all your energy? I am so sorry about all of your losses. Sending hugs. :hugs Please keep up with this. I love reading it. Thanks.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
ThreeBoysChicks said:
Livinwright Farm said:

Put some golf balls in the egg boxes, it really did help stop my egg eatters.
Thanks for the tip! I always find golfballs laying around in my area, I will have to wash a couple up and put them in all the typical laying areas(one of which is an ultra fine wood shavings filled tire :lol: )

GOATBOOTS

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I've been working on my writing today. The cook book is progressing and I'm already getting inquiries from friends and family who want to buy it when it's done...boy that makes me feel great! But of course they've all had the food and have begged for recipes before (which I held out on) ;)
The early readers are done and have been declared a success by my boys and my nephews...they haven't been published yet...but since I'm self publishing it's just a matter of me getting it done.
Keep us posted on your progress. I would be interested in buying one of your recipe books when it's done.