ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
As I write this I'm watching DH fight with my Basenji, Boingo. The purpose of this fight? Boingo needs a deworming pill and doesn't want it. It's hilarious to hear this dog saying "I don't want to!" "I hate you!" and yes, it really does sound like he's speaking those words. We go through the same thing trying to give him a glucosomine pill. He may be little (32#) but he is fierce.

Basenjis don't bark but they vocalize in many different ways. There is the common baroo that you can hear by going to youtube or different Basenji breeder sites. In addition, Boingo makes a vocalization that sounds like he's saying "I love you", "I don't want to" and "I hate you" and those vocalizations are given appropriately. This dog is like having a teenager :)

Anyway, the deed is now done...and Boingo loves DH again.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
hmm, my sister puts pill in her aging dogs food in the morning. He isn't a picky eater though. The glu pill really help out.

Sunny & the 5 egg layers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Boingo sounds like my dog Penny when it is time for Penny to get her harness on when it comes time for a walk. Or when its time for her to get her nails trimmed. :rolleyes: It takes two men to hold the dog down (she weighs 60lbs) in order for Penny's nails to get trimmed. She is SUCH A BABY! But... She is cute. I guess thats all that counts, right? (My avatar is a picture of her as a puppy). Oh and I swear Penny talks! She is really vocal! :)
Boingo sounds like quite the character! :lol:

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
We've finally got our processing appointment scheduled - Nov. 7. We'll be taking in 2 turkeys, 3 guineas and 3 roosters. We only have so much freezer space or we'd take in all of the guineas.

MrsDieselEngineer

The Goat Lady
Reaction score
Have you tried just putting the pill inside a clump of peanut butter? Works really well, dogs don't chew PB, they simply swallow!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
MrsDieselEngineer said:
Have you tried just putting the pill inside a clump of peanut butter? Works really well, dogs don't chew PB, they simply swallow!
That would only work if DH is the only one to deal with it. I am highly allergic to peanuts...can't touch them, can't smell them and it could kill me to accidentally eat them. Needless to say, peanut butter doesn't come near me.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Since it's a chewable pill we're just gonna use the pill crusher to crush it and put it into a syringe and add water and drench it. He really will not take anything other than his favored treat - pupcorn - and that's not conducive to adding a pill to.

Sunny & the 5 egg layers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
elevan said:
Since it's a chewable pill we're just gonna use the pill crusher to crush it and put it into a syringe and add water and drench it. He really will not take anything other than his favored treat - pupcorn - and that's not conducive to adding a pill to.
:gig Wow! I can't believe how much your dog sounds like one of my dogs (Penny, the one I spoke about before). Penny's favorite treat is popcorn too! She knows when we are making popcorn, I swear she comes out of the woodwork! She can be outside in the backyard and she will hear me making popcorn in the house and she will be right at the door wanting to come in! She loves popcorn :pop as well as carrots and everything else. I don't know of anything that dog won't eat. :barnie Including things she shouldn't eat (Plastic water bottles, cans, tabasco sauce, wood, ect.) :rolleyes:

EDIT: Yesterday I was staining the front porch and she walked over to the can of stain and started DRINKING IT like it was water! I yelled at her for it and she stopped. But then an hour or so later, I see her trying to lick the stain off of the boards to the porch. Something is seriously wrong with that dog... :/

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
elevan said:
MrsDieselEngineer said:
That would only work if DH is the only one to deal with it. I am highly allergic to peanuts...can't touch them, can't smell them and it could kill me to accidentally eat them. Needless to say, peanut butter doesn't come near me.
So if a kid dressed as Mr. Peanut comes to your door it could be dangerous.
146fs96171.gif