ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

marlowmanor

Reaction score
77Herford said:
elevan said:
MrsDieselEngineer said:
Have you tried just putting the pill inside a clump of peanut butter? Works really well, dogs don't chew PB, they simply swallow!
That would only work if DH is the only one to deal with it. I am highly allergic to peanuts...can't touch them, can't smell them and it could kill me to accidentally eat them. Needless to say, peanut butter doesn't come near me.
So if a kid dressed as Mr. Peanut comes to your door it could be dangerous.
http://www.pic4ever.com/images/146fs96171.gif
:yuckyuck :gig

Seriously though, sorry for your peanut allergy. That's kind of scary actually.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I like putting a dab of peanut butter on the roof of our dog's mouths....watching them try to get it off of there cracks us up.

Hey, we don't have cable....gotta do something for entertainment...

Shame you can't know the joy of that, Em.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
I like putting a dab of peanut butter on the roof of our dog's mouths....watching them try to get it off of there cracks us up.

Hey, we don't have cable....gotta do something for entertainment...

Shame you can't know the joy of that, Em.
Oh, sure you get to taunt the Moderator...:p

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I used to LOVE peanut butter. I wasn't allergic to it until 10 years ago. Now, it's deadly. The smell of peanut butter heating in a recipe is enough to make me lose consciousness.

redtailgal

Reaction score
A peanut allergy is some scary stuff. I've never figured out what it about peanuts that makes them so deadly to a person who is allergic to them.

Most other allergies are not so quick to get nasty.

I am allergic to yellowjackets, it gets bad quick, but I keep my epi-pen handy. Does you have to have an epi for your peanut allergy?

I am also allergic to onions.....but its a sever gastric reaction, much like food poisoning and I end up dehydrated in a matter of hours.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
No epi pen since peanuts are supposed to be easily avoided. I have to be careful when I go to restaurants though and ask about their oils, crusts and desserts.

I suspect at times that my brother's gf is trying to kill me...she's constantly offering me something with peanuts...I'll just stare her down until it clicks in...and then it's "oh, I forgot" :rolleyes: Seriously? We've been through this a gazillion times and you forgot?

It's actually that little "tail" like piece of the peanut that holds all the chemicals that cause peanut allergies.

I have the exact same reaction to Rock Lobster too. :/

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Understand the allergic reaction with no epi-pen. Had rainbow trout once. Didn't have but two bites of it because I wasn't fond of it, 2 hours later, in the Emergency Room. Allergic to Iodine. You should have seen what I had to go through when iodine was needed when they found my ovarian tumor. That was a mess.

Sorry yours is peanut butter. LOVE Peanut Butter. DH and I live on it.

Roll, we get that same entertainment here. DH always shares his Peanut butter and crackers with Jake. That dog loves it. The lip smacking and all. :)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
The doctors suspect that it was my love of it that led to the allergy.

Here's the thing...you don't have allergies to things that you've never been exposed to. An allergy is an immune response to something that has been perceived as a threat in the past.

As a child I ate PB&J all the time. Reeses were an addiction. Then I started to itch in my mouth after eating peanut butter. And then the itch got worse. Then I started having trouble breathing. Now, I can't touch it...I mean my fingers cannot touch a peanut. I can't smell it. I went from loving peanuts and peanut butter to being deathly allergic in the span of 1 year...and that was after eating it for the first 25 years of my life.

The really funny thing is the allergy developed after I had a hysterectomy. Lots of stupid stuff developed after that...peanut allergy...trigeminal neuralgia (look it up - very painful)...chronic fatigue syndrome...migraines (got much worse)...severe vitamin deficiencies and now I'm dealing with gastrointestinal issues.